Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Looking Good?

 



I have never really considered myself much of a clothes horse and I wonder if that's because my mom pretty much dressed us kids as we were growing up. I think it was kind of a money thing. We knew we didn't have much but did not see anything particularly wrong are humiliating about getting my wardrobe from garage sales and hand-me-downs from cousins and brothers. And true, not everything was used. I remember we used a lot of layaway stuff in the old days. Penny's and Sears Roebuck were the main stores. I think I've written about this before somewhere in the blog. Everything from shirts to shoes. We got a lot of our church clothes new when we did get new stuff. I think the thing I wore most proudly was a red collarless jacket. I don't know how much I wore this to church as much as I wore to the Saturday night dance. So there were moments. But then again I was never dressing myself. I had no idea of what look good on me are what did look good on me and how to spend money to look good.


I saw one of the kids or and just figured their parents outfitted them as well. Their parents probably did but somehow these individuals came off looking great whether it was the Levi's jeans, white socks and converse all-stars. They knew how to look good I didn't. No one ever complained to me about how I looked, maybe that would have had a positive influence, I just wore what was in the closet and got through another day of school. Remember one time in the late fall my mother bought me a parka which was read (which I really liked) but there's a big black diamond, if I remember right, on the back of the parka which I didn't like. However, the group of people that I hung out with, like the garment a lot. Probably not for the right reasons it was so different that it became popular at least within my small crew. Probably nobody else even noticed but I felt that I really stood out. This was also during the time when I was wrestling and I was doing quite good at this sport. And oddly enough my mom got me a pair of fire engine red tennis shoes. And I know she didn't do it to color coordinate that would've been gross. But I loved wearing this outfit when I would be hanging out at the high school football games or on the day after one of my wrestling matches especially when I one which is usually every Friday during wrestling season.


I think the point that I'm trying to make is that lately the last couple of years I've been purchasing my own clothes for really the first time and not necessarily failing at the project. I still have a difficult time finding clothes that will fit me as I've aged and gotten into larger sizes. The best shopping experience I've ever had was with an old lady over at Sears who worked in the sales floor. She actually went around and got close you thought would look good on me and she was absolutely correct. I just had one experience with her and have never been able to find her again. Anyway, the other day at the funeral I dressed myself up remember? I thought I looked pretty weird and bad but took some pictures of myself just the same to send the Dianne to show her that I was wearing long pants for the first time in a number of years. Dianne was enchanted with my photos. The feeling was so rewarding I'm now considering making some more purchases for the coming season when this Covid passes in life returns to some form of normality…

No comments: