Sunday, May 02, 2021

King

 




A couple weeks ago I ordered a Stephen King novel which is relatively new first published in 2019. This novel's less than two years old, which for me is practically new, when I ordered the novel I was in the last quarter of the paperback book I've been reading really for the last month The Collapsing Universe By John Scalzi, a writer I been mining for the last couple of months. For more information on

Scalzi, I recommend that you search the name and see the titles available. He is definitely worth a read. But I ordered the Stephen King just so I'd have a volume to slide into as soon as I finished the science fiction book. I was a little bummed out when my order came because I neglected to see if the title is in hardback or softback and of course the book was hardback. I can certainly deal with this is just awkward trying to drag a hardback around to read.


Two days ago I finished Scalzi and put the new volume next to my pillow on the bed. When I cracked the spine on the bill read I knew immediately why I just love reading Stephen King. I couldn't really verbalize it until I started this read. It's not necessarily the content, but surely that's a big part of my enjoyment of this author, but it's the development of the protagonist. For whatever reason I almost immediately identify with the character is going to be the main person of the read. This was particularly true of the old guy in the volume Insomnia And there's another novel that I'm aware of where the protagonist is an individual around my age. These individuals are usually just regular Joe's caught up in something very odd are in some cases supernatural. The story just unfolds and is just delightful.


I even took time yesterday afternoon to read some more of the new volume and then last night I was in bed by 11 PM and read till 1 AM which hardly ever happens. Usually I read a couple pages and begin to those of. In some cases waking a half an hour later with the book in my hands not even realizing I had gone to sleep. Last night was a little irresponsible readings so late. I had an early morning breakfast date with Mark Anthony and I had to be up and ready to go and be at the restaurant at 8 a.m.. (Which I made the time with minutes to spare). I guess what I'm saying is that this is a great read so far. Even today I spent our out in the sun cranking through the pages. I don't know what it is with King and the way he tells his stories they just make me want to read more and insert myself into the storyline itself. I'm not going to finish this volume one day or one week. I'm sure it will take me at least a good month to finish reading the volume. The book is called The Institute and near as I can tell It's about a bunch of genius children in a facility for the education and maintenance of super kids. Interestingly there's been a number of pieces of literature/science fiction just about the same thing are television series like The Umbrella Academy or some of the Marvel superhero education groups like the small Academy like function of the X-Men and specifically Dr. Strange. The difference being Stephen King and that's all the difference in the world or the known universe…

No comments: