Saturday, May 15, 2021

Undocumented Aliens



Route 47 is one of the main bus lines I use. It originates out of Murray central station which is IHC hospital and travels West to Redwood Road then turns north before going to the community college. The first stop after turning on Redwood Road is what I call “the graveyard” because the stop is in front of a cute little graveyard/cemetery just across the street from Salt Lake Community College. At that intersection of Redwood Road and 4800 S. I live just south a couple blocks. It's not a big deal but, drives me crazy to have to travel the added distance from the graveyard stop South to the intersection and continue my journey to my home on your side of the park. But this is another post which I'll get to it some other point time. In today's post I actually did get off at the graveyard station just because today was a nice day partial cloudy and 70+ degrees almost 80 before the days done. I cross a small canal which courses through the cemetery has become home to a number of Canadian honkers.


Canadian geese are probably Salt Lake/Utah's premier undocumented aliens. I've always been fascinated by these beasts watching them fly in their great Vs and hearing them talk early in the morning and sometimes late and in the middle of the night. I never thought about them settling down until I had lunch this week with my friend Duane at the park adjacent to my apartment complex. He indicated that a flock of geese (small flock) has taken up residence at places like the graveyard, sugarhouse Park in various school fields. I've never considered but their presence means but according to Duane it's a whole lot of duck poop as well as ravaged ground where they have grazed. Be that as it may I still love these beautiful birds and when I can take time to watch and I'm going to try to film the more this spring. Today, instead of immediately heading south for home, after I got off the bus. I went over to watch the geese that's when I realized there's a whole lot of goslings which are really getting quite large. Many had lost their baby fur or down but there is a bunch of them. I was really surprised. I would've thought That cats and other local vermin would've been far more destructive to these little families. In Murray, my old home stop, the cats made short notice of many of the Quail families which run the great lines over the yards through the streets. Not so for the goslings. Perhaps these great neck geese are more former role protectors. In today's viewing I noticed one goose standing tall and I suppose as lookout while others in their goslings floated up and down the stream. They did this until they realized I was moving closer and closer, trying to get a better shot with my camera, and the group began to move away And the lookout started moving, slowly, my way which I took as fair warning us to stop bothering the families. I had seen enough and felt blessed to take advantage of such a wild kingdom moment at the graveyard…

No comments: