Monday, May 03, 2021

Reprogram



It happened again last night. Just as I was getting ready to turn in for the evening – – actually I was going through my process, getting undressed then getting ready to brush my teeth etc. etc. when I look At my controller screen indicating that my power chair was in the idle function state which means that the next screen will be a no screen and I'll be effectively without mobility. Sure enough, the second I went to turn my chair off the whole chair shutdown or froze up on whatever it does. There I sat for the next 10 minutes hoping and praying my chair would reboot itself and return to the land of the living. Thank goodness, finally I press the lever forward again and just like that much I became functional. I was able to finish the rest of the evening without issue but of guide to something and I can't wait till Wednesday.


I'm still not sure the reason but but my home health person, Melanie, showed up almost a half an hour earlier this morning which was astounding. I was so elated that I decided I would try to ameliorate the the problems I'm having my chair and called my wheelchair shop asking if there is anyway I could come in earlier than my projected Wednesday appointment and Cameron the front desk guy indicated that I could come in this morning. I told him I needed to come in early as I can because I'm stressing out about my chair shutting down the middle of traffic crossing the street somewhere. The gave me 11:30 AM appointment I wasn't sure if I can make it exactly at that time because I have to change buses once to get to the wheelchair shop but I will try my best. Only once did the “Idle mode” Message appear on my controller screen as I was getting ready to head out a very apartment to the bus stop. I sensed it was coming so when it came there I immediately switched off my chair waited 30 seconds and shifted on again and I was good to go. I'm sure it was just pure superstitious behavior on my part but felt like I did something positive. The chair acted perfectly for the rest of my trip and I made it on time.


Mitch was my technician. It was great to have somebody to unload a bunch of questions on any handle them pretty well. First and foremost for some reason the chair keeps shifting into the “idle mode”. The chair shouldn't be doing that obviously the controller need to be reprogrammed. But the question I most wanted answered was would with this behavior ever get to the point where the chair would become permanentlyUnresponsive. He said no that if eventually the chair would reboot itself and I would be able to go on. Still however he plugged in the magic device and Mitch erased the old program replace that with a new program which should free me up from the immobile chair at least hopefully long enough to for my new chair gets in if it ever gets approved.


The day was cooler than I would've liked. But I was able to make it with just my longsleeved black shirt and I was relatively comfortable.I had to get home I had letters to finish mailing which was my main project for the day until I found I could get the work done on my chair. It was enough I put almost 3 miles on my chair today so it was a good day and I have new faith in my chair at least for the time being…


No comments: