Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Knee coaster, Dark Angels and Waiting For Jim

 




This may be a late posting blog if I'm not careful. I've waited until later in the day and of course now there storms and threats of storms, electrical storms all over the place. They're beautiful summer storms but still not wise to work with your computer during such events a least that's what I've been told. So I'm taking my chances and hopefully lightning doesn't strike close by enough to fry my hard drive.


This is going to be a kind of follow-up post just so my true blue readers don't feel I'm leaving them hanging. Anyway, remember last Friday when I wrote about “Slim Jim” the fellow who works at the food bank, and also lives here at the facility, fell or something and could not bring food from the food bank and he does many Thursday nights. What did some checking around and what he did was step off the curb the wrong way and somehow managed to break his ankle. Now this is a big guy, not fat, just large and probably being 85 years old and possibly some brittle bones all acting together and coming down on that foot wrong did the trick. From what I understand they ended up keeping them all night at the hospital and then another night and today or tomorrow is being shipped out to physical therapy facility where he should be impatient for a couple weeks as the ankle/foot heals. Of course nobody knew really what was going to happen and I don't know who got it but all of a sudden this knee-bike shows up in the foyer of the building here at the apartments. I don't know if this is something Jim got for himself or the social worker or whoever but I think without the plan was he would scoot around on this knee bike. I kind of don't think that's going to happen but I'm not sure.


What is really spooking me is that over the past month or so we've had 2 deaths here at the facility. A kind of believe in a law of threes. So not trying to be too fatalistic I'm thinking they're still going to be a death before things get back to some form of normality. I was seated next to big Jim the other week at a presentation in the skin looked a little funny to me. I can't really verbalize what I saw more of what I felt (and this is before the accident where he stepped off the curb). I kind of got a strange feeling of hope it was just a piece of undigested lunch. But that's the funny thing there is the old sucker punch you got a watch out for. Once you begin thinking one thing that seems the universe takes great pleasure in sneaking something in on you to show you how out of control you are the whole living spectrum. I don't know if I wrote about it last week but I was traversing across the parking lot and one of the seniors here was slowly backing her vehicle out of her parking slot. I clearly was not where I was supposed to be in all I could see was his car slowly backing towards me and on top of that my power chair immediately stopped. Somehow I had switched out of forward motion into seat control. I wasn't going anywhere until I got back into forward motion. And the car was coming at me. I could see myself getting slowly ran over by this vehicle and it was all clearly my fault. Finally, the car was close enough that I pounded on the side of the car as loud as I could and Clarice heard my frantic pounding stop the vehicle. The case I'm making was I very easily could've been that 3rd person to satisfy the law of threes but it wasn't. And that's the point the second you know you get to see just how wrong you are. So now I'm just minding my P's and Q's and hoping the dark Angel passes me by…

No comments: