Thursday, August 18, 2022

Park Fun

 


this is not the slide am writing about but imagine 2 other slides coming off the top "crows nest". It's probably is high as that one was.


I decided I would get a jump on the weekend chores and do my weekly wash today rather than tomorrow. I've learned that when I do a wash that's not a huge like waiting to the exact end of the week your deal goes much easier and swifter. Plus they use coffee social so I was going to be at the front of the building anyway next to the laundromat, swerving was a plus plus. I could do the socialization and then – out to check my wash and dryer.


While I was switching the wash from the dryer into the basket to head back to the apartment to begin the next process of folding and hanging I noticed the spent dryer tissue or whatever it's called, you know to help with limiting the wrinkles and also for some fragrance into the wash? I noticed that when applied to us steal like surface or metallic surface it can really be slippery to the point of dangerous. We're always encouraged to make sure we don't leave these little pieces of paper on the floor the laundry. Of course I began to wander in my mind and just think of how great it would be like to have been able to use this little piece of fabric to sit on going down while slides of the public parks. This in turn got me thinking of this monster 3 slide device in Julie Davis Park in Boise, Idaho. This thing was huge and it took every ounce of courage as well as “encouragement” for my older brother declined the top of this device and slide down. Of course, the only time we ever use this piece of the playground equipment was during the summer. I remember the steel or whatever the slide was made of wood gets so hot you didn't want to stay in one spot very long. I also remember us throwing handfuls of sand is high up on the slide as we could reach to increase the speed of our downward fall. We even started using wax paper to limit the friction.


I thought it be relatively simple to find a picture of that slide system for this posting but no such luck. I searched and searched for about an hour this morning and I could find no references or images of the playground at the Julie Davis Park. I did find other such slides from other parks from around the country around that time. But none of them were the triple slide that we enjoyed. I don't remember how high the slide was it seemed like it was superhigh. Once you climbed this latter to the top there is like a square “crows nest” configuration and then you would choose which slide you would descend. Everyone believed there is always one slide faster than all the others and that's the one my brother always wanted me to do it always terrified me. But I did notice, for my search, was that it seemed all these park playgrounds begin to vanish during the 70s. So it feels like a national effort was made to to purge the country of this horrendous Park liability. I can only imagine how many accidents and deaths and spinal cord injuries were caused by these huge playground devices. I'm going to search some of the Idaho history blogs and websites to see if somebody somewhere has an image of this slide monstrosity.you really have to see it to believe it…

No comments: