Thursday, August 04, 2022

Slim Jim Pickens

 


People are sure funny. It's Thursday night and it's quiet at the front of our building except for the small group of residents huddled around the front door or in the common area waiting to see if good old Jim is going to come around and deliver “presents” from the food bank. Jim himself as a longtime resident of the apartment complex a great big guy from Brooklyn New York. I've never heard the full story of how he ended up iin Utah but I'm sure it's a great story. Jim's bighearted guy and does a lot of volunteer work keep himself busy. I think I've written about them in the past years ago about how impressed I was with the guy because he always had a copy of the Wall Street Journal stuck in his back pocket. Jim reads a lot. I had quite a conversation with him earlier this week with his latest back pocket volume Illusions I believe is some kind of self-help book written in the science fiction format but I can't be sure.I just checked a fast search above written about Jim a couple of times. This is a little bit different however so bear with me… Thank you


Anyway, the small group of 4 or 5 are milling around waiting for Jim to show up but I have it on good authority his cars in the back parking lot which means that Jim will not be bringing stuff from the food bank tonight. All that's what I was going to say is that often on Thursday nights Jim loads up his vehicle with materials/foodstuffs from the food bank and sometimes is pretty good stuff comparatively speaking. The only problem is that the items Jim brings over is not regular and not necessarily programmed into the system. It's just stuff Jim has access to because he's a food bank volunteer. I assume it's okay the items he brings over I don't know what the policy is as far as volunteers taking out truckloads of food. For one I don't know how they would track the donations and where they go to as these little bureaucracies like to do after all in many cases it's how they get their ongoing funding by being able to show how many people they've served which makes sense. The point that I'm making is that Jim does not have to do this Jim does this because it's a nice thing to do… I guess. I'm keeping an eye on the front door all the way back of the hall were my apartment is. I don't want to be part of the little milling group. I've heard already a couple of derogatory remarks about why hasn't Jim come yet and they don't necessarily like waiting and they should have a better system in place. But like most volunteer gestures the person doesn't have to do it. Those disgruntled waiting at the front door better watch out because the righteous find out that big Jim's Brooklyn heart will lead you are so much

No comments: