Friday, August 12, 2022

Shopping Intimidation

 


I had to do a replenishment run this afternoon. You know how all the things that you think you really need all come do are you run out at once? Well that's what's been happening with me. I needed lunchmeat as well as spicy vegetable juice and a couple cans of jalapeno peppers sliced. I also knew the couple candy bars. I think one of the best things I can do to let my staff know how much I value them as have food ready for them if and when they need it. Even though they come around somewhat late in the day one staff coming at 8 AM and the other coming at 8:30 AM many times they don't have time for breakfast so I try to have things they can snack on while they're waiting for me to do my business. It's not much but I really do appreciate what they do for me and I want to make sure they stay with me as long as possible.


So after I did my arm bike this afternoon about 1:45 PM I bolted across the street for a fast shop aroma. In this one lady who is checked me out a couple times grocery wise was actually doing some shopping herself I noticed. It was only after I got closer and I could see that she was following a list and communicating with somebody on her cell phone that I realized she must've been one of the “store shopper” running around and filling out somebody else's shopping list. Up until this point I have not utilized such a convenience. I've not use them partly due to trust issues, partly ignorance and how the whole system works and partly because I've gotten feedback from other folks about how screwed up their orders had gotten, items missing because the staffer couldn't find the product usually saying they didn't have it available. But mostly I'm quite intimidated about the process. Some stores says it costs money, other says it's free except for the tip is just totally confusing to me. I can't have the same problem with ordering pizza. I've done it twice now that I've lived in these apartments but it's taken me 5 years to do it just because I don't know how. When I finally did order the pizza that went off quite easily. This was during the height of the pandemic and there was this weird process that you had to put a chair out in the hallway by your door so the pizza guy could leave the pizza on the chair which you brought in after he left. This was done so there is no physical contact with possible Covid carriers. It worked out fine I did not get Covid but I got my pizza and I think I even left a small tip. I'm sure the courtesy shopper would do the same thing. I want to have that skill set complete with confidence by the time the days become cold and snowy. I also think bottom line I just like being able to pick what I want to eat by myself especially meat and produce and the occasional doughnut…

No comments: