Tuesday, August 09, 2022

They're Back!

 



I am going to miss these days, even though there's probably a bunch more hot days left in this summer, I just know there will be cold days coming late fall and then winter. But I will try not to think about the cold days coming and enjoy the day right now: carpe diem! I had these thoughts as I looked out the window the train as I went into the city this morning for my downtown meeting and Assist, Inc.I was in okay mood, sleepy because I'm just not sleeping that well these days but I am sleeping. I was early as always because I can't stand just staying home and got some place to go to and am ready to go. I figured I could figure out something to keep me occupied. And sure enough, to my delight, as I crossed the street from the library I could tell that little coffee shop/French pastry shop next to the office is up and going. Remember, these guys are doing that weird European summer thing where they close down the middle of summer for almost a whole month. Now they're open and obviously ready for business.


It seemed a little slow when I went into the establishment. The front desk help actually bounded around the counter and opened the door for me, that was nice. Everybody was back in their place kind of reminded me of “the blip” I think that's right from the avengers when half the world population just vanished because of the click of the fingers of Thanos. There was no Asian girl who is so fun to talk to, then the harried back-end staff will keep running back and forth from the kitchen to the front counter to make sure everything is okay. I kind of like this place but would never go to this place that was not by the Assist, Inc. office. These guys are totally low with themselves today I got myself an iced chai and I really went crazy and ordered a chocolate filled pastry. The iced chai is something relatively new to me – not the chai just ordering them. I love the flavor but the whole concept is somewhat decadent in my eye. I'm not sure what the prices were except that the pastry was similar to $4.50 range in the chai was probably close to the same because the cost of my order was about just under $10. I paid it without the least amount of guilt except for thinking how stupid it was to pay that much money for such a trivial piece of enjoyment.


It was a beautiful morning so I found one of the tables outside in front of the pastry shop and totally enjoyed my iced chai and crumbly delightful chocolate pastry flaky and totally destructing as I took the bites of the pastry try not to get the fragments all over me. I did a pretty decent job I probably should've ordered the regular coffee instead of the iced chai to eat with the pastry but it was still good enough made me feel like I was worth $9.95…

No comments: