Thursday, September 22, 2022

Flattered

 


It's official, autumn started today. It's not a big deal but I like to keep track of items on the calendar and I'm particularly fond of seasonal change. As I have recounted earlier, I am often not ready for the season to change especially this one but now that I'm here I'm kind of interested in seeing the leaves change and eventually fall. Not that this has anything to do with seasonal change but today I was contacted by 2 of my best friends. Weeks go by and I don't hear from anybody or anything and then suddenly in Monday I have 2 contacts. One friend from University (we were roommates or apartment mates at one time) alerted me to the passing of an acquaintance I haven't thought of for years, literally decades. My other buddy lives here in Salt Lake County. We worked together at one time kind of opposing forces, from my point of view, but not his. I saw myself as the radical and he was representative of the establishment but we got along pretty good and now we go to lunch to it 3 times a year. We're supposed to go to lunch tomorrow actually but God I message from him not long ago indicating the remodel of his house hit a snag it have to cancel tomorrow's lunch date which quite frankly came as a relief. This is been extremely busy week for me. A lot of trips on the bus and a couple free lunches I guess it all works out but still is time-consuming and physically demanding. I think I'll just enjoy sitting out in the autumn sun soaking up the vitamin D.


Interestingly, the 2nd meeting of the day was a group called the A. T. Counsel (assistive technology). This is a group of folks who stood by the people from Utah State University in Logan that pretty much facilitates assistive technology on the academic side throughout the state. It's all very complicated in the old days the scruples well attended by everybody in the state from gubernatorial type representatives to parents of kids with disabilities to folks with disabilities especially from independent living movement which was my reason for being at these meetings. I like the meetings primarily because there always hot lunches. State action spent a lot of money providing hot food

problem was the whole operation is run by a vegetarian – – I guess it was a vegetarian because we never had any meat dishes to speak of. Sometimes we had chicken but mostly it was some form of vegetable casserole this would be for everything went to taco's are Mexican food for the lunch but at least it was hot and now it's all cold. We had a copy of this say much we had yesterday sandwiches and salads which I thought both were pretty good I didn't have a problem with the same menu twice in one week that I did not have to pay for except to show up. Again, love the big guns are used show up to these functions especially this function are just not interested it seems like any longer. This was also the 1st group meeting since the before times. We used to meet every other month then every quarter and now's twice a year. And for the last 2 years we've been doing Zoom meetings. It was good to be back with the A T folks from around the state. Those who did not show up in person did come in by Zoom.


I'm kind of surprised at how much I miss these folks by my reaction of when I saw them in person as well as via Zoom. One of the directors of the local nonprofits will be retiring very shortly and someone suggested that I might put in for the position when the position opens up. I have to admit I was a little flattered but did not really seriously consider the option of all. I'm tired, I'm old and I don't know if my body could stand that kind of stress on all levels. It was nice to hear however and I do believe the organization needs to be shaken up a little bit and some grassroots direct action needs to be reinstated to the independent living movement in this town…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should seize the day and make a play for that position. You have been outstanding throughout your life and your contribution in this position would only be a capstone to your excellence.