Friday, September 09, 2022

Lunch?

 


.

I know I probably said every week but I just love Fridays. Even though I'm not working I still feel the end of the week is special if not for me for everybody who IS working. Perhaps I'm just getting off all these working folks appreciation of the end of the week vicariously. The cold front finally wandered into the Wasatch front overnight and temperatures finally came down. Today asked he felt like fall both from the temperature and the dampened light. The cold front actually sucked in a lot of smoke from surrounding states who are suffering Forest and Range fires. Even though we didn't have many clouds the kind of felt overcast by all the smoke in the environment. There were a couple times I even thought perhaps I should go in and change into a longsleeved shirt particularly if I go anywhere. I did not however and I did go somewhere. I took myself to the movie which I thought was a great way to end the week. The movie was kind of weird. Actually, I did not think there was many movies to choose from it only went of this film because Roy Schneider starred in the male lead. Supposedly, it was the last film before his death and I can believe that. Oddly however that is not really what this blog post is about.


My morning routine went so well I was feeling very charged up when Gloria left. She put new patchwork on my butt which may be filled terribly protected. I checked on the movie date the bus times and found I could get to an early movie by 12:40 PM if I hustled. Was already dressed and I had my “to go” bag right by my door and it was packed. So I just had to grab that in my stick and make sure I had my phone and took off to the bus stop. The image amusing for today's posting is what I saw at the bus stop on my side of the street a full bottle of something I think was some kind salad dressing and the corn beef sandwich unopened. There was a time when I was not thought anything of claiming this find for myself. Like a gift from some unknown provider. But since the other week when my neighbor from across the hall return to Canada cranberry sauce I gave her when she asked if I had any. It seems she has a problem with cans out of date and granted this was probably close to 12 years out of date I did not think that was too weird. In fact I was a little offended but I've been thinking about this all week. A couple weeks ago I opened a jar of peanut butter which was a number of years post its “used by” date and I can actually tell significant change in the flavor. I don't think it was rancid but it was certainly old and didn't taste very well. I would certainly have eaten this with gusto if we were in the famine, war or some other challenge that made it imperative to live off your supply. Luckily the food bank usually just produces food that's either right on the date or year or so passed and it's pretty decent. Now, eating unattached food found in the public sector that something quite different and in light of just incredibly weird events happening in the last couple years it's best to leave such “treats” alone and leave it for some other hobo– – in fact had I been the real citizen should be just scooped up the “treasure” and ushered them into the garbage bin nearby but I can't do that.


Tonight because it was Friday because I very much would like to go to Market St., Grill in order a bowl of clam chowder I opened up a can of clam chowder that I brought over from the house when I moved into this apartment. I think they use by date was 2014! I must admit I was a little jittery after I opened up a can and threw it in me saucepan to heat. After I brought it to boil let it cool I tasted the soup and it still kind of tasted like clam chowder but there is definitely another flavor permeating the soup which I think is just age. I'm way too cheap to throw the whole thing out so I ate the soup as best I could with lots of crackers and pepper and conviction of maybe going through the other cancel soup I have been other things throwing away those way past the “use by” dates and over the next year cycle all them out replacing them with fresh canned goods is the least I can …

No comments: