Thursday, September 01, 2022

Is Cream Dreams

 



I hate it when I sell out and I hate it more when I sell out on myself that's exactly what I did today just for the promise of ice cream. How weak is that? Maybe my need for ice cream was so great because written the middle of that giant drought/hot spell right now were dealing with temperatures now over a week of hundred degrees plus weather. Seriously, the temperature is not so bad as always I enjoy being out in the heat particularly if I'm hydrated, wearing a hat basically everything I should be doing to be outside. But today I saw the calendar at 3 PM one of the “vendors” will be coming into provide the ice cream in an ice cream social. Of course I have visions of my mind of the Lawrence Welk show vision of an ice cream social with beautifully clad 1950s teenagers deliriously licking ice cream cones dug out of tubs of frozen ice cream like they used to have. What's even worse is that I sold out by not listening to my regular show Marketplace which is broadcast at the same time and this time I was really kind of interested in what the show teaser talked about which was the problems of public transit in the big cities following the pandemic. Since this is the Streaming age I should be able to snag the broadcast begins at 7 PM this evening but even then I have things I need to be doing our want to do that I may have to make a choice – – but that's not true either because with streaming you can stream anytime. However I really want a list of the show so maybe I will listen to the broadcast again at 7 PM or wherever it's held up at. So I suppose it to really not a big deal, especially with today's technology which allows a person to stream anything, anywhere, anytime. Now I just have to remember to do it!


Like Chinese food, and many other things the promise of hard ice cream just isn't there anymore. The vendor brought boxes of creamsicles, Fat Boys and possibly fudgesicles all in one of those plastic ice chests that seems to be ubiquitous during the summer months. I would've been surprised had he showed up with real tubs of hard ice cream and cones. That I think are things of the past at least in social settings. I've figured out a way to dig out ice cream in a cup that I purchased bags of and plop it on top of ice cream cone which is good in that it really limits me to how much I can eat ice cream and satisfies my need for a treat. There was one place in this area of the town where one can still get ice cream dug out of the wonderful round tubs and served in a very wide range of cones which is that IHC hospital cafeteria/restaurant but that's a goner thanks to Covid/pandemic. There's also a joint down the street called Leatherby's which likes to sell them selves as an ice cream mecca. I'll have to make time to go check it out until then I plan to head over to the market sometime soon and purchase one of those little round tubs of hard ice cream of various flavors maybe that's all I need to meet and satisfy this desire I have for ice cream castles of my past

No comments: