Thursday, September 15, 2022

Like Low Hanging Fruit

 



I like Thursday's, not as much as I like Friday's my Thursdays definitely have a great appeal to me and they feel good too. I believe now long-ago post I wrote about how I would start my weekends on Thursday when I was in high school when it visit my quadriplegic friend, Gino at his residence which was a long-term care facility – – that's fodder for another post. Anyway, my visits to Gino maybe look forward to Thursday then of course Friday which was the gateway to the weekend. The feelings for 30 have stuck. Thursdays now, at the apartment complex is “Coffee Social” a phenomenon I visited a number of times at this blog. It's just time when coffee served some form of pastry to individuals who show up. Of course it's for residents here at the apartment complex but it's a thinly veiled socialization project. They don't charge but highly suggest that everyone pays a dollar and some people do some people don't. I do make a point of always held a dollar bill the throne the table when I show up to the coffee social. Oddly, I have to admit in the rather bizarre way I actually look forward to the coffee social and communicated with folks who are basically my neighbors that I don't see except at this function or other similar functions. Up until this year I didn't even know her most of the people lived in this complex and that's on me I guess, I've chosen to be a social isolate, I don't know why. Maybe it's just my shine nature. Anyway today they talked about Bingo.


Bingo is another thinly veiled operation perpetuated by one of the long-term care facilities as a function to celebrate all the birthdays of a particular month so it's a monthly bingo fest. Of course, the people who put on the bingo game are nursing staff from the care facility and the person in charge is a social worker who also is looking to provide services for folks to show up for the bingo game and don't have home healthcare or whatever who might be eligible. In effect low hanging fruit. Easy pickings. I wish I felt better about these folks but to them I think for just part of their meal ticket. I'm sure they go to these kind of apartment complexes all over the valley scrounging up potential clients. We have folks from durable medical facilities, long-term care facilities in general insurance companies all looking for “potentials”. I can't believe who shows up to these things be a today, week after week. Don't they know they're being utilized and even worse they are totally fallen into the whole stereotype of senior citizens playing bingo for stupid little stuffed toys. When I wouldn't go even if they had decent prizes. Little old ladies with 2 or 3 cards in front of him praying they get the right numbers to shout “bingo!”. Bingo is one of the biggest crowd gathers for the apartment complex. I'm always totally surprised at how many people show up. I actually did the day just so I could take some images. They build this says bingo and ice cream I didn't see any ice cream just cheap little store bakery cupcakes and the always present bottled water. Like I said I'm just amazed at how many people show up praying for a chance to scream “Bingo!” For a silly stuffed animal…

No comments: