Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Adolescent Arrogance





I reported last week of encouragement I got from the writers Guild to craft stories from my past. This of course is not the first time I considered such a project but alas, I have never got around to the project but maybe this time we knows? Hometown stories, Not necessarily memoir and fiction text from historical base. That would be the challenge I think changing history and fiction. I don't know if I can do that, change history and fiction. I found at least my personal history doesn't need fiction to liven it up, case in point the most remarkable ride. Actually, I just realized I wrote that story back in 2009. To be exact Thursday, March 19, 2009. If I really have skills I would make a link back to that very posting but that would take real skills. Perhaps When I have more time. I am going to post the image of Gene and I.


I like this photo. I got out of rehab about a year maybe a little bit longer, I felt I was getting my feet back on the ground, to use a bad cliché. I started high school and My life is strange as it was returning to some form of normality. I was getting up actually going to school during the week and on the weekends pretty much hung around the house. This picture was taken like in February if I remember. I can't remember if Eugene had returned to Bishop Kelly. I don't think he ever returned to high school. He was living at his home in the town just west of Boise called Meridian. I'm kind of amazed that we stayed in contact following rehabilitation. Certainly different from each other in a lot of ways except for being quadriplegic. The difference was Eugene actually got settlement fairly sizable though I don't remember how large. Settlement was large enough however to allow him to disown his family move into a long-term care facility in Boise. But until then I would periodically go out to Meridian hang out with Eugene and was really kind of strange. I don't know if Eugene was actually angry or just a prick. I kind of think it was a little of both. Plagued to live the rest of his life a high spinal cord injured male. I broke my neck too but my results were not nearly as catastrophic as Eugene's. I at least had some mobility in my arms and legs, kind of. There's a lot of things I did not understand at that time of my life regarding spinal cord injury. I still had sensation In my hands and legs at least I believe that I did. Eugene did not. Eugene smoked many times, I remember, knocking a cigarette out of his hands when the smoke have burned down to the but and onto his hands and he could not sense the burning flesh. Even if I could feel my hands were in pain I would spasm Probably enough to knock me out of my chair.

I was being – – or so I've been told – – I don't think I was mean as Eugene. It was weird though whenever I was with Eugene I sort of took on his persona. I'm always astounded at how much you know mimicked each other in this photo. Eugene essentially killed himself but it took a long time and in the end I don't think he really understood what hit him. Income through a decade of self-destruction and was climbing out his crafted hole of self-pity. Eugene and actually got himself in the college and got the job at died shortly after by a dumb infection. I lost contact with Eugene way before that. I got on with my life and let him languish. I still regret that. But we did have some interesting times.




No comments: