Friday, March 09, 2018

What's The Plan?



I attended a meeting today which is not necessarily on my agenda bootable days ago one of the was I directors of this program cornered me in sort of got a commitment out of me to attend. At the DRAC meeting couple weeks ago I ate my sandwich and listened to the discussions of what they were going to are not going to do in  the name of access for folks with disabilities. Once again, the DRAC folk are interested in putting on some sort of celebration/action come to live the month of the signing of the ADA or the Americans With Disabilities Act. When they asked for volunteers I did not raise my hand but was thinking I would show up regardless. The meeting would be held on Friday – – typically I have no other functions so a DRAC meeting will would give me a focus with which to end my week. The only drawback was the meeting was to be held at the DRAC headquarters which would be new territory but I did a silly want to have to explore. Having to break out of my comfort zone to find a new location is just enough provocation permuted block the whole function. But I made an effort and actually the organizer called this morning with the address I no longer had an excuse. It was not bad, the opposite just three blocks off State Street which is all accessible.

Typical, I was really the only DRACster to show up. Executive Director, staff support person and the  community  organizer were the only other DRAC folk there. This is not altogether true the chairman joined was there through his cell phone. I suppose he was ill and I should give him quarter. Still seemed a little cheap.

 So good old DRAC is going to try to pull this off in July. We certainly have the lead time. Assignments were made and this time I did take a few assignments. The process was mildly painful . We'll be having a (hopefully) larger organizational meeting following our monthly meeting the end of this month March 28 I believe. We will try to pull together representatives of significant disability groups in town and throughout the state for this planning function. This makes me a bit nervous but I will do what I can. My task is to contact my old boss/friend Claire plus my friends at the Independent living Center. I may throw in some other folks as well. I'm not sure how this will work out. Even in the best of times, events being organized by folks with much better funding, connections and slickness than us has been challenged to bring something like this off. At this point we don't even know if we want to have a celebration or and action are both. I personally think we can do something, I'm not sure what and by July the knows what will happen. Right now the Americans with disabilities act is under a significant amount stress as it is being attacked by the conservative right of this country. We (the country)may not even have an act by July but we shall see. So either way we, DRAC, win. If we in fact do still have and back supporting people with disabilities we will have something to celebrate it, however we do not have an Act that we indeed have something to protest either way we have our orders…

No comments: