Friday, March 30, 2018

Hush



I have a good friend, at least I would like to think him a good friend who has a significant disability, uses a power wheelchair for mobility and is a professional in the community where I live. He is a political kind of guy I I have always been impressed with not only with the kind of work he does but the quantity of work he does. Gosh, I've known this guy for over 10 years it is our to believe. I have written a number of posts concerning him one way or another. My friend was relatively young but I first met him so now he must be getting middle-aged. I cannot believe he is still in the Salt Lake area. I've ranted and raved before about how he is sort of overqualified for this area. He needs to be in a bigger market is not at the big show in DC. I've ranted and raved a stupid executive directors of private nonprofits have never used this guide was potential. I've noticed for some concern the past couple of weeks, it's he has written on his Facebook page regarding heartbreaks and his spirit both being alone. As I said, his comments breaks my heart. I cannot believe he is not found someone at this writing who has not wanted to make a commitment to my friend. I am a pathetic romantic and I believe there is someone out there for everyone and actually there is more than person, I think there are many. I of course have no credibility in this area since been married three times and none of them worked out, but I want to believe. Maybe it's true many people with disabilities can't find love.

In the fall and winter of 1966 I was living at Idaho Elks Rehabilitation Center in Boise Idaho. I had broken my neck earlier in the year and was in rehab. The days were filled with actual physical therapy, mat class, rickshaw, working out with pulleys and waits. I was kept pretty busy however at 5 o'clock everything seemed to shut down it was the same on weekends… Tumbleweeds. All the people who are visiting me right after the trauma at the hospital that pretty well lost interest by the time I was transferred to rehab. I have kind of a romance while at the Elks. Her name was Margie Smith, the same last name as my. We delighted telling others were married. I somewhere have an image of us together in the ADL room. The foyer of our building was quite a ways from the nurses station in the residential area. Margie and I used to go down in our wheelchairs and sit in the dark and look out over Boise. It was kind of romantic in 1966. Herman's Hermits, part of the English invasion of the 60s, had a song out called, Kind of a Hush. This was our song. I don't know if we love each other but we loved the the song and loved being together. I'm so lucky to have had Margie. It seemed afterward for a very long time no girls ever wanted to be more than just a friend. It's what I know my friend is going through. I told him things get better I don't think he believes me but I can't say that I blame him. He is aging that is undeniable. If I get a chance I'm going to tell him to keep stepping up to the plate (I hate that metaphor) sooner than later is going to hit one out of the park. I hope it's sooner...

No comments: