Thursday, March 15, 2018

Colson Whitehead Lecture



I broke my routine today which is a good thing. Typically on Thursday I go to the Thursday morning coffee klatch then I returned to my apartment and sometimes wash a load of clothes, read, maybe do a movie on the Internet or whatever basically kill time untill time to jump the bus and head south to the library for Next Chapter bookclub. It's a nice routine but I can be doing more. Yesterday afternoon while listening to NPR as I was working out there was an advertisement for a lecture today at noon at the city library which is free. I really didn't care too much what the lecture was about but it was free and on the bus line and after the coffee klatch and the lecture at only being our so it would fit perfectly between both events coffee and that bookclub.

Speaker for lecturer is a guy by the name of Colson Whitehead. I've never heard of the person before NPR but he sounded interesting. A Pulitzer Prize winner from New York city. I'm still a little confused about this book he got the Pulitzer for, the book: The Underground Railroad. At one point I thought that I heard on the radio that the book was quasi-science-fiction/historical document. I don't remember for sure I almost thought it might've been an alternate history kind of writing. I did not get that from the lecture however. I think the closest the lecturer came was describing states as different realities of community. I'm intrigued by the concept alone which might drive me to find a copy online and order it in. He had a couple of other titles I noticed as I googled him during the lecture that sounded interesting

Mr. Colson Whitehead is a black man I find it difficult to zero in on his age but it might be early 50s, a young 50. He has a daughter entering adolescence and the four-year-old son. I like the guy seemed like a regular guy no tweed jacket with elbow patches for this writer. He has lived in New York all his life and is not pretentious as some writers from New York tend to be. Bear in mind this is all happening over a free lecture at the city library over lunch hour. He has a more formal lecture/reading tonight at the library but is a big auditorium – – the lecture over lunch was in the site venue on the fourth floor of the library. I've been in the library many times but never noticed this lecture area which is fairly large and actually has bathrooms which I'm surprised I have not used.

I wish I had counted how many folk were in the audience. These people had already most of his work. I didn't even know they until yesterday afternoon. I wanted to raise my hand and ask was this novel and alternate history? Did he ever right in alternate history form?. I really like some of the stuff you say and I like how he talked about his writing method or style. How he writes for three hours every day, seven days a week, then drinks in the afternoon – – he then laughed like he was kidding I got a strong feeling that he was. I googled his wife was a real literary head and would never let him do that at least the drinking part. He quipped as he dropped the word “iPad” and actually mentioned that he gets $50 every time he uses “iPad” in his lectures. I'm so gullible I believe this, I wanted to believe this and I well believe this. They just makes sense and is totally believable. Tonight's lecture is booked, I'm not sure what that means for a free lecture. Is actually going to do a reading. But I chose the lunch lecture it probably made all the difference.

1 comment:

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.