Tuesday, March 13, 2018

I Need A Fixx...Dave Fixx



I wish I had an image of old Dave Fixx PhD. Serious that was his name David Fixx and he was a PhD in clinical psychology. Dr. Fixx was my first exposure to real life clinical psychology. In 1968, two years after my accident, I was kind of wandering around aimlessly. I pretty much felt I had adjusted to life in a wheelchair and having limited mobility. I actually thought I was doing pretty good. I was living at home, of course, I was a teenager where else would I be living? Oh yeah I forgot I told you about my buddy Eugene. Well, case in point I was more normal than Eugene ie. Geno. I was back in school, granted the school I was attending was the crosstown rival of the school I was supposed to go to. And trying to figure out how to spend the least amount of time home as I possibly could which is pretty normal for teenager correct? Still I felt like I needed to be doing more doing something.

My brother got in trouble with the law, probably because of me, I was getting all the attention. His behavior had been felonious was given the option of five years at ISP (Idaho State Penitentiary) or going down to the Marine Corps the day after sentencing and enlisting. Now, my brother was getting the attention. One day shortly thereafter I was in downtown Boise and rolled into the courthouse and ask to visit with the judge was sentenced my brother. I don't know why I did this perhaps the attention thing. I told the judge I was concerned about what my brother had done and I want to help somehow make Boise a better place so my younger brothers but not have the same temptation. I made this all up I don't know why I told him that. Maybe survivor's guilt – – maybe I wanted my brothers life but in a different way. Needless to say the judge referred me over to Ada County Mental Health. The judge said the he knew someone who could help me, Dr. David Fixx.

Ada County Mental Health is located in a nondescript two-story building in the Northwest part of Boise Idaho. The facility offers mental health services for the county and this is where I interviewed with David Fixx. I cannot believe what I saw. He was a caricature everything I thought of when I thought of shrinks. He was an older guy who seemed older, flowing silver hair, Brigham Young gray type of beard with eyes that twinkled. We talked I cannot even remember about what. I'm sure I tried to dazzle the old guy but I doubt I dazzled at all. David Fixx could see see through any dazzle, David Fixx became a kind of a real life superhero. I was soon attending a group therapy session – – I thought I was an assistant to the group facilitator but actually I'm sure David had me pegged as one of the group however we did do a group review after each session. I was learning. I like what I was doing, I felt I was important. Dan Roadie a masters degree social worker was the group facilitator. Dan ran the group and after a while then let me run the group. I did this for over a year pretty much until I finished high school. Once a week my mom and drop me off at County Mental Health. My parents never really asked what I did think they were just glad that I had a focus that was seemingly positive. It seemed natural after I graduated from high school to enroll In the local university which I did in psychology and I never looked back.

No comments: