Sunday, June 10, 2018

Back To The World


.
I think my brain make the day a transition day to safely move me from family reunion mode back to real life mode – – whatever real-life is. I conveniently put a lot of things on hold using the reunion as a great excuse. I mean who can argue my noninvolvement in various projects and programs which are ongoing when I use as my excuse “I've got family reunion this weekend”. I certainly left the feeling that I would get back into “work mode” on the completion of the reunion. I sensed the tension yesterday and this morning as I ponder the new week beginning tomorrow.

Foremost on my plate is what my going to do regarding DRAC in my involvement with this organization? Once again, DRAC has taken a turn that I'm not totally in favor of been I don't really understand completely my anxiety or hesitation to become involved. I don't have a problem with becoming involved with direct confrontation. I understand direct confrontation, how works, nonviolent direct confrontation is what we practice – – supposedly but as DRAC as begin preparations for the ADA birthday/celebration in July and I have become uncomfortable with Being asked to dissipate and activities which involve asking/demanding funds from various organizations private and private nonprofit. I'm not sure why we are doing this except for raising funds to assist in putting on the event in July. I suppose it's not really demanding funds as much as it's just (supposedly) asking if they want to assist in the participation of the ADA event. As I write this out, I have lowered my anxiety level, remembering we are just asking these agencies to contribute. However, in the planning meetings, I have gotten the impression that the funding request is a little bit more intense. I don't know if I have actually heard but I sense that if they don't comply DRAC could force their hand by direct confrontation/demonstration. The case in point I'm hearing right now is that there is a local private nonprofit agency, which services many folks with disabilities recreationally and that they have not acquiesced to to our requests And now it sounds like preparations are being made to transport a number of DRACsters up the canyon for some type of confrontation. I don't know almost sounds like the bordering on extortion. Once again DRAC my becoming a bit more extreme even for me.

DRAC has been on social media all weekend long, its members have been targeting storeowners and other folks that meet the public and presented them with either $50 or $100 “pledges” for their participation in this Americans With Disabilities Act birthday party. I have been amazed with the zeal that many people have exhibited in delivering these requests. As of this writing I cannot see myself delivering any of these documents. Maybe I'm just scared, which might be, I've always hated asking people for money. I plan to support DRAC in their direct confrontation if and when they get back into the direct confrontation mode but might back away from what is happening currently. Regardless of what I choose to do I have to do something. The family reunion is over and so is my excuse.

No comments: