Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sunday Afternoon Delight





Don't tell anyone but yesterday at the food bank I got a frozen filet mignon. I think I was beginning to frustrate the volunteer who is handing out food items. I just Kept refusing I wish you an offer like canned tomatoes or canned corn, canned beans, brownies, milk that is past its expiration date. Finally she reached into her freezer pullout this little fist of filet mignon and a huge family sized pizza frozen as stiff as a board. The filet mignon looked really interesting and I went home and threw it in the freezer. The huge family sized pizza is basically a cheese pizza which is okay because it is something to work with.

Another one of my guilty pleasures is pizza. I like hot pizza, I like cold pizza, I particularly like pizza that's been left out all night maybe even a couple days if the pizza lasts that long. I had an onion of course and I was fortunate enough to score a very righteous green pepper. I needed hamburger and a can mushrooms. I know most people would prefer real live mushrooms either sliced or whole doesn't matter to me. Fresh mushrooms are okay just a little overrated I would just as soon have little bitty canned mushrooms to do the job quite nicely. I was going to write briefly about my historic family square pizza – – mostly set on a cookie sheet but on review of past posts I see have covered that piece twice. Suffice it to say pizza is my comfort food. I did a recreational run last night to the market across the street and got the items I needed for the pizza plus a bag of popsicles.

I decided to keep breakfast simple this morning and opted for a banana and an apple and fresh coffee. With the energy I say I lost into washing my clothes after which the public pizza from the refrigerator no longer frozen – – floppy and a challenge to handle but I got the plastic wrapped pie onto a pizza pan and was surprised at how easy the plastic came off the dough. I had already chopped a can of olives, one onion and one green pepper. I partially cooked one hamburger patty and then combined everything on the pizza crust. The result was heavy but incredibly exciting. I cranked up the oven and surprised when I opened the oven to put the pizza and the smoke alarm did not go off. (I still have my resident advisors phone number in my speed dial program smoke alarm goes off) The directions for cooking a frozen pizza is 13 to 15 minutes but I always end up cooking the thawed product 20 – 25 minutes. At 20 minutes I checked the pizza and declare that it's done this before the smoke alarm erupts and I call the RA. I then wait for the cool down. I understand it is an exercise in patience but it's easier, safer and quieter if I wait until the pizza cools the point where it's easily handled.

I don't know how many frozen pizzas were donated to the food bank but I'll never turn a frozen pizza down. I now have quick and easy meals for the better part of the week to come. I also caught the filet mignon because it roll out the freezer and thawed and I cut the other hamburger patty from the packet I purchased for the pizza. Meals for all week!


No comments: