Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The New Legions



Against my better judgment I suited up and went to the direct monthly meeting over at the Housing Authority of Salt Lake County. And been contacted earlier by a friend of mine was also a DRAC member in fact she was on the Board of Directors for DRAC. She was contacting me to let me know that she was resigning from the Board of Directors and in fact DRAC itself. I was not surprised I've spoken with her last week to see if she was coming to the meeting today. I wanted to make sure I had a comrade in arms but alas I did not. Sherry has her own reasons for her resignation and I certainly will not second-guess what I know she was somewhat uncomfortable with the way DRAC is being operated. I think, I to assume make a decision of how I want to continue interfacing with DRAC.

It seemed I spent the whole course of the meeting refusing to take on assignments with this new project they are involved with raising money for not only that ADA celebration I think DRAC in general which is okay but not for me. I am really quite impressed with some of the members and the zeal they've taken to raising funds for the projects. As I've mentioned before the methodology is a bit draconian but it seems to be working and they are happy with themselves. I kind of feel I need to keep with the organization until after this ADA birthday thing passes even though I really refuse to get involved. In fact I was beginning to feel a bit guilty because every time a request for volunteers run out someone actually volunteered me for a project and I would have to verbally refuse the volunteering. So when the director of DRAC asked for someone to take notes of today's meeting I halfheartedly raised my hand and volunteer. I took notes, this is a failing of mine. My minutes are somewhat can be a little OCD. I tend to get caught up in the militia. I will try not to let that happen with this project. Who knows maybe if I can submit such a poor rendition of the notes/minutes Bill have somebody else do the minutes next time.

I know I look like a jerk, and really I am kind of one for not being more involved with the DRAC folks. However, I really must admit they're doing a great job! The folks I really thought losers (and I still think they are kind of) are really focused on contacting these businesses, private nonprofits and agencies in the community to see if they want to clash money to DRAC. I really believe these folks are doing a great job in bringing attention to the above indicated as to their accessibility to everybody in the community and especially people with disabilities. In 20 better job than I could ever do. They have new people coming in to each meeting. These are the new legions these are the ones who can bring change these are the ones to set a new mark for accessibility in our community.

No comments: