Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Previously...



Previously on Meadowlarks Mind… I have always wanted to use that introduction which I think was made famous on “24” Fox's great gift to the world. Anyway previously I just registered my wheelchair van for duty and got the insurance secured and actually had been ferried back and forth to various activities of the recent reunion. The big white van is now part in that solitary space at the apartment's secured parking area where the big white van will set until I can get a driver than when I need one. For a host of reasons it only makes sense that I secure my motor vehicle operators permit i.e. drivers license. I'm gearing up for an arduous task. I don't test well as it is and I don't know if I will not only need to take the written exam but I would also not be surprised if I must perform a practical are driving exam as well. So, to that end, I decided to begin the process. In order to kill some time on Monday before my lunch with my friend Dennis I decided to take the bus out to Utah Department of Safety, Drivers License Division. I was surprised I always thought drivers licenses came through just Utah DMV. Wrong! Any time I have to deal with drivers license issues I must contact Drivers License Division.

The atmosphere was still cool trying to bounce back from the cold front which wandered through the region on Sunday. The morning was cool but not uncomfortably so. I think 47 out to the driver's license bureau. I had never got there on public transit and was not quite sure where the Bureau was. I of course had been there before but Dianne had driven that have paid much attention. Now I was. Drivers License Division much like Social Security administration is one of the great denominators. Nobody gets out everyone has to go through those doors if you want to drive. Midmorning and already business is booming at the division. I did not want to have to take a number and go through the line just to get a copy of the drivers manual. That's what I wanted was the drivers manual so I can begin boning up on what I needed for the examination. I looked all around cannot see a stack of pamphlets that typically was the drivers manual. I could not believe this, today not even publish a manual anymore except on line? It would not surprise me. I had found what could've been an online manual but didn't seem to be just parts of the manual's like teasers. Surely there had to be drivers manual. I finally summoned up a bit of courage and rolled up to the end counter behind which what could've been some level administrator and undercover law enforcement official having a great conversation no doubt about their weekends.I asked him about the drivers manual they pointed out a counter but nobody stood and there was a pile of (what looked like to me)magazines. I rolled up and snatched a copy of the top “magazine” and sure enough it was a copy of 2017 – 2018 Utah Driver Manual .The manual was as big as the bloody magazine! Published on cheap newsprint, there is a bunch of pages to deal with. Is going to be challenging.

To say that I was intimidated would be an understatement but I rolled up the document stuffed it in my pack exited the room looking like I had found exactly what I was looking for. Waiting for the 47 to take me back to the community college I leaf through the manual. At the end of each section they give you a couple of simulated questions I guess like you would see in the examination. Some I got some I did not. My home health person Dana has become somewhat of a confident are sounding board and I told her about my experience. She told me that I should just have taken the test and I passed great had not passed no problem learn from the mistakes and take the test again. In fact, she said, the test is open book! You are allowed to make two attempts a day. I understand that these are limited (for the Examination)You test till you pass! How civilized is that? I'm still going to read as much of this handbook as I can then take the tests. I don't know why I'm even doing this. I really don't know or think I'm going to attempt driving again but, you never know. I can see myself doing so in a pinch. I would not mind having a second form of identification and I understand my insurance might be less if I had a valid drivers license. Plus, I would love to have my own license picture to share with friends went out drinking and the conversation turns as it always does to “wait till you see what I look like in my license”.

No comments: