Thursday, June 21, 2018

Stepping Up



The only constant is change, this is one of my favorite mantras. Thursdays are becoming my busiest day of the week and I like that. I like that a lot, being busy, feeling like I'm doing something, something relevant maybe something important . Coffee group this morning was okay however I am getting tired of paying a dollar a week for less than exciting treats. Today it was cake made by the English woman. I'm sure that it was great I was just hoping for more maybe something with some protein. I should not complain the whole coffee event is pretty lightweight. Really, the only reason I go because coffee group balances out my day on Thursdays. I feel fortunate in that I was able to pump my 50 minutes of the arm bike before getting ready for Next Chapter.

I got to the library as usual about 40 minutes early. I take the time to sketch, go through the used books and CDs and videos and just hang out. I was surprised when five minutes to the time of group that the project coordinator had not shown up. By 4 o'clock ,time of the group, she's still not showing up but the group members were. I turned there was Libby coming towards me with a big smile. To be truthful I did not really recognized her but I did recognize the big bag over her shoulder, the same bag Debbie usually slings in with. Libby is the new director for the Developmental Disability Council. She's young compared to previous directors but she seems committed to the project. She says hi to me and informed me that Debbie has quit in such a way that there's a lot more to the story. It is clear that that Libby wants the group to go forward does not really know how to do so. Finally, it's my time to shine. Seems like all my time the group until now has been training for the now. Even when I took the group for the week that Debbie was gone today felt different today felt like my group. I stepped up and helped Libby run the group, really run the group. Luckily, it was a smaller group than usual with one of the care centers not showing up in a couple of the other members. There there was four or five of us and really fairly decent readers. We zipped around the circle quickly. Everyone got a chance to read at least twice. Of course, everyone wanted to know where Debbie was an Libby was straightforward the group just what they needed know. I was kind of impressed at how well the group took Debbie's absence and announcement that Debbie was not coming back. I was kind of amazed that the group seemed somewhat collectively relieved.

Before Libby took over as director of DD Council she was just off the staff. Debbie actually thought that she was going to get the directorship but that did not have I don't know if that had something to do with her abrupt leaving the office and her position. Libby seems to be doing a good job transitioning into the director. I really wish to support her and her transition anyway that I can and I told her such. Told her she needed me to come and help answer the phones, or whatever I can do to help out just a call. Not to be Machiavellian but it would be nice: some part-time work or something. If nothing else I told Libby I would be happy to take the group next week by myself when Libby informed me she would not be able to make it. That's cool that's why I thought they want me for the job. It would be nice to get a couple blocks though if not I like this group the guys really are trying hard and their reading really well. I just hope I can measure up.

No comments: