Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Summer In The City



The hot weather is back and I am pleased. I had better act pleased as much as I talked about how upset that I was when I low-pressure system came through and lower the overall temperature by at least 20° . Once again my standing Tuesday morning meeting was canceled due to lack of funding. New funds will be released in July so I'm sort of on vacation until the new fiscal year in July. I still have meetings going on in fact I have one tomorrow afternoon. Since I have the time and the day free I decided I would go down to Utah Develop mental Disabilities Council or UDDC . The Council business sponsoring entity for the First Chapter program. Readers will remember that something happened to the coordinator of the program, Debbie, and Debbie is no longer with the program.

With Debbie gone I'm the closest thing to a leader for our First Chapter group. There are four other First Chapter;s operating by the Council but interestingly other programs are actually hosted by someone from the hosting library. Supposedly, our hosting library, West Jordan Library, is short-staffed and that is the reason Debbie and myself ran this group. The First Chapter group If organized correctly has been mean coordinator and assistant to help the coordinator and to step in if something should happen to the coordinator. I am that person. I decided I would use the time that I had this morning to go on into the city and the office and pick up the bag of books. First Chapter provides the books for the readers which has to be brought to each week's reading. I've had to actually do this, fill in, a couple of times and it kind of awkward dragging these books with me. However, I am happy to now be filling in and doing my part. Today that is picking up the books which are be used Thursday in the group. It's a little premature to pick up the volumes two days ahead of the meeting but I'd rather be dragging these books around for two days that have to scurry around getting everything squared away on the day of First Chapter.

I still have not found what happened to the first coordinator, Debbie. Amy, this kind of my best friend at the Council now. Amy doesn't really work for the Council she works for the University of N. Utah Way. Seems like she's had an office there forever because Amy isn't true maverick. I doubt that she could keep her job issues on campus but Amy doesn't excellent job and is the best advocate for DD students in Utah probably anywhere. I tried to get Amy let me know what was going on but that was a no go. Amy's to professional or she just doesn't care which is cool either way that's Amy and you've got to love Amy.

Amy and I talked for a long time with the door open. The office is small if anybody want to hear us they could we did not have anything to hide. Before leaving I dropped in on Amy the new director of Utah Developmental Disabilities Council. I once again reinforced my offer to help the Council anyway possible to get past this particular issue. The new directors named Libby, I like Libby I think she will do well. She kept asking me if I was going to do the group on Thursday and I assured her I was she seemed totally surprised. I don't know why after all is that not why they suck me into being part of this group? Looks like I'll be hosting the group, on my own, for the next four weeks probably through the month of August. That's okay with me with no other place I rather be on Thursday afternoon then posting the folks at First Chapter tearing into the next bunch of pages.

No comments: