Tuesday, June 19, 2018

First World Seniors


k
I went down today to check on Ann, the Service Coordinator, a.k.a. social worker, here at the apartment complex. They don't call Ann “the social worker” but her degrees in social work and she works with folks to iron out their problems one sort or another… if it looks like a duck… it's most likely a duck. I know that and has been well couple of weeks now ever since her vacation. It's not like I needed to talk to Ann today except just to visit but I'm a little concerned as to her well-being. Ann is the Service Coordinator at other buildings in the system departments owned by Utah Nonprofit Housing. The Service Coordinator is here only on Mondays Thursdays and Fridays.

I stopped by Jennifer's office, who is the building manager, she and Ann seem to be pretty tight – – they are management, they get paid to be here. Jennifer told me she's not sure but and has been pretty sick ever since she got home from her vacation. Jennifer also that today Ann is supposed to be in Magna but she would check to see if Ann was in to work today. I shook my head and just said “yeah, sounds like first world problem”. Jennifer narrowed her eyes at me just briefly but I felt the glare. I think she thought I was saying that Service Coordinator deserves to be sick because she went on vacation because she could go on vacation because you have a job, a good enough job that lets her go on vacation so much vacation that she goes a couple times a year which is great it's just too bad to get sick every time she goes on vacation. I hope Ann gets better soon I Mr. miss Ann.

“Sounds like the first world problem to me” is one of my current favorite jabs at the system. I'm fortunate enough to be straddling the “system divide” right now. I have a van which is licensed and runs – – I do not have a license to drive. I am self-pay on my attendant care and I'm able to make it from week to week with just three visits per week. (Last night I was visited by my former home health person, Gail. She's quite elderly yet continues to work nearly full-time as a home health person and I think she's pretty good. She has recently started providing home health services some of her clients “under the table”. She really has to do this because your agency does not assign her enough work to meet her bills. I made a mental note to myself to find how much he charges on the sly, and might be interested in having her shower me over the weekend, the long stretch of time where I go to shower from Friday to Monday. Many times over the summer I think I would appreciate a quick shower. If I can find the right price I might consider a shower if it would boost Gail's local economy. How much would YOU pay for shower?

This morning house outside playing with a mirror I found on the sharing shelf was outside by the dumpsters flashing anybody or anything that aided in the air and Kathy came out in her power chair. We spoke briefly Kathy was upset about being banned from the senior center bus service because they enjoyed her feet a number of months ago and now she's banned from that service for their mistake. She said she got the double whammy because you have Medicaid. Suffice to say this is a long story. I told her she should use public transit the mainline bus. She did not know she could, she did not know she could get on with us. I assured her she could and should. I doubt that she will, but she might. I hope I have not created a monster. Kathy deserves as much transportation but she should get or can get. Right now It does not know she can even get on the bus… She will shortly. Riding the bus or more specifically not writing us is Kathy's first world problem I truly hope she can solve their first real problem

No comments: