Thursday, June 14, 2018

First World Problem



Even if I had my license, my motor vehicle operator's license, I doubt that I would really drive my van more than use public transit. It's really hard for me to use my van. Perhaps if I did not have to transfer from my power chair to the drivers seat I would use the van more. Perhaps if I enjoyed driving in heavy traffic or risky traffic I would use my van more but I don't. I'm not really tried transferring from the chair to the six point power seat of my van. I don't think it would be all that difficult but I haven't done so since my operations. It's not like I have to do any lifting per se, through the magic of hydraulics I can always maneuver my point of transfer higher than where I'm transferring to allowing me to use gravity as my friend making the transfer. I worry a bit about decubitus or pressure sore from the friction of transferring. Then there is the problem of remaining upright while driving. Again gravity can be your foe or your friend in equal portions. More than once when I tried to make a turn and was not braced accordingly I tended to go with the flow and gravity pulled me over. I have been lucky that no traffic was close by and this occurred. My unstable driving could have resulted in very serious consequences.I don't know how many times I have dreaded having to drive home after a full day of work or recreation or whatever and having to drive. I'm tired and exhausted and it's all I can do to get home.

I never have any of these issues if I'm a passenger on a UTA bus or light rail car. If I am using public transit all I have to do is get myself to I busstop or transit station and wait for the bus or train. I don't have to worry about traffic, traffic lights if I have enough gas to get home or to my destination or of my battery will be charged when I get to the van late at night after a night out. Aside from a derailment of the light rail or the heavy rail I'm save on public transit. My ride on public transit is essentially free with my paratransit pass. I do not have to worry about insurance, payment of any kind, maintenance and a place to park. There really is no contest but like a fool I am working towards getting my license reinstated. I am paying over $100 a month insurance, every month! I am worried I don't have enough gas in the vehicle. I am worried that I will not drive the vehicle not taking the battery charged. I have a host of first world problems and worries. If someone walked up to me on the street and asked me to buy my van would I sell? Yes. In a heartbeat. I don't know how actively I'm going to try to market this vehicle but I'm going to try to get rid of it. When the time is right hopefully a buyer will appear.

No comments: