Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Blustery Day

Chaffee Hall


The storm is almost here the low-pressure front is certainly taken its time all day to get here. I was afraid that I was going to get caught traveling back and forth to my meeting but when I called I was informed that, once again, my Assist meeting had been canceled. To be honest I was kind of glad because is much as I like my volunteer position with this “coffee group”I didn't really want to be out in the elements if I did not have to be.

I looked out my window and the wind was blowing the trees seem to dance in rhythm to the gusts. Had the day been later in the season this wind will be hard at work pulling beautifully colored leaves off trees then parading hosts of leaves down sidewalks and across park will will lawns. The morning clouds which covered the sky looked menacing and a bit foreboding . I got the impression they wanted me to stay in bed and blow off the day. I slipped into a daydream and traveled back in time 40 years or so to the early 70s in a dorm room in Chaffee Hall on the campus of what State University. I can tell by the rain bouncing off my window that the day was going to be wet and cold. Tuesday's where my math and science days – – actually lab days. Anatomy and physiology and biology and of course Math(I have met every day that semester). Had the day been a Monday Wednesday and Friday I would be in lectures in the old science building. I had a spot next to the pipes going to the second floor perfect place to cat nap during long, dry lectures. Other days when I chose to blow off class entirely I would wander over to the second floor of the library where I had discovered record players with headphone jacks and the music library for the music department – – of course all students to check out the vinyl and listen. I spent whole Saturday and Sunday rainy afternoons lost in music on the second floor. I did not know it then, one never knows it then but these would be some of the best days of my life.

I've been trying to eat more salads which means I have to have ingredients to make salads. At the food bank on Saturday I got a head of lettuce as well as a bag of romaine lettuce. I need tomatoes and cucumbers at least to make a decent salad. I'm not necessarily trying to be healthy (although that's not a bad thing) by I am trying to lose weight and I hope salads will help. I thought about jumping the bus going down to Walmart just because the local market has produce a little expensive and I'm not too excited about its quality but I was not intrigued with the idea of busing down a couple blocks for produce so I elected to take off and head over to fresh market just down the street. I was shocked when I burst outside and found that although the outside was overcast and windy the day was not cool but actually kind of hot I was surprised.

I got what I needed and headed back to the apartments. I spent the rest of the afternoon working on puzzles and reading. I feel guilty for having lost a day where I could have been a bit more productive. Many times, too many times, while at Chaffee Hall I did just that, sleep away a rainy afternoon when I should've been studying and preparing. I felt I had all the time in the world. Now I do not dare waste this gift I have of life. Rain clouds are no clouds I intend to use every day is much as I can because I really since my days are numbered.

3 comments:

Kelly Bowles said...

Reading your blog post took me back to all the places you mentioned; Chaffee Hall, Science building, Library.
Was it really 40 years ago.
Surely life has passed us by as if it were a dream.
Kelly

Meadowlark's Mind said...

Hey, Elder, Thanks for the comment what a surprise! I didn't think anybody read this blog. I just write it is a commitment to writing. I love you brother and love spending time with you in Chaffee So many years ago.

Kelly Bowles said...

I read it faithfully so be careful. I know where the bodies are buried.
Kell