Sunday, October 28, 2018

He Ain't Heavy...he's adopted.




Halloween week started today I guess you would not believe it was the last week of October because the weather's been so beautiful. I noticed that particularly this morning but I went out to test the temperature to see if I needed to wear a jacket or a hat or whatever when I had to run to the market later on in the morning. The morning was warm and inviting. Later when I did go out to read, in the parking lot by my van, the wind was blowing. An autumn wind I really noticed for the first time because I heard the rustle of the leaves. I had noticed the least falling from the branches but they have been perhaps slow at first but now there are enough leaves to make that whooshing sound whenever the wind riles up and moves the whole group. I know now to what is going to change surely significantly so. I used to think that the leaves piled up in nooks and crannies in the neighborhood would last forever or a long time into the winter but I have been wrong. It seems like the minute I notice these piles of summer remembrances that the changing colts snap hits and is always accompanied by rain and our snow or both. The rain comes in saturates these fine piles of leaves which turns soggy and almost overnight seems to rot turn into a sludge, mudge of plant nutrient – – a dinner that only a plant could love.

I haven't heard a full-scale weather report today except for what little snippets you hear on the teasers between television shows about “big change in the weather is coming… Tune in at 10”. I did check out one of those Internet weather forecasting sites, you know the kind, the kind that has either the sunshine are clouds in front of the sunshine images over the coming days. Looks like the temperatures got drop 20° from the day (today was about 75°!) So were lI was workingooking in the 50s. It's not a huge drop but there's also a chance of rain by Thursday. The rain doesn't look significant at this point but who knows? I always have to remember that these forecasters are doing just their best guess scenarios and that with active weather happening all the time especially with the amount of hurricanes which seem to be operating off our coasts something might break off and head in… And I think it well. Probably not a lot of moisture but enough to make a lot of ghosties and goblins – – and parents – – uncomfortable for the upcoming all hallows Eve.

I almost forgot to mention, I was working in my bedroom this morning, hanging up the wash, and I got a phone call – – for one reason or another I can never answer the phone while the phone is ringing. I have to call back always. I didn't pay much attention at first because I thought it was another sales call but then I noticed the phone number (which I did not recognize) was from Idaho. I never get sales calls from Idaho so I called the phone call back it was for my older brother, Ross. I was a little concerned, Ross never calls me but he did today. He was interested in my finding of my birth family. Ross like me is adopted. It's complicated, but I really haven't told him about finding my family because I was afraid it would hurt his feelings and feel like I was abandoning him. He and I have been abandoned enough that it need to add another level to his feelings of being left behind. I felt bad and a bit embarrassed for not having confided in him. We had a good conversation talked about some old stuff and new stuff. He's healthy, he's cancer free and that means a lot. I love the guy he's my brother he ain't heavy… I just had to say that.

No comments: