Thursday, October 11, 2018

By Your Records...

Mother Duby at age 70.


As I reported earlier this summer I've become aware of my biological/natural family. I am trying to downplay this event and having to accept the fact finding my bio-family is a major event, something so huge I still am trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I have access to people very much like me.I have not jumped on this new family yet. Quite frankly I don't really know what to do or how to become more involved. I don't know really how to treat this group. Are the folks that I call the help move or more likely are folks that he shared DNA but still are basically strangers and always will be. I don't know.

My “new sister-in-law” Carla is a doll. I mean she is taken on so much responsibility in ferreting out all us brothers and sisters. She has done this single-handedly. When the final birth parent died I understand that Carla went into clear out the house and that is when she found numerous records all the births of all of us kids. Until that time all the children which is been adopted out had no idea of their other family members. Thank goodness mother Duby kept such copious documents. Mother D kept record where every child was born and of course the date, the hospital itself. This information greatly facilitated the operation of finding the kids.

I've been sort of amazed over the years at the fact that I am kind of driven to keep records if nothing else just of myself. I don't consider myself a really good keeper of records but I feel compelled to keep a record. An example of this of course is my blog. I have over 2000 postings. I've always kept a journal of one sort or another. My problem has been keeping a hold the Journal once I've written them. I'm so distressed at how many journals I've lost over the years. I treasure those that I do have. I've also been extremely interested in the past 20 or 30 years at other peoples journals when I can get a hold of them. I believe so strongly in documenting one's life that I've also began “arm-twisting” all that will listen to consider documenting their life. I just think it's so important. Anyway, the past couple of days for one reason or another I've been pondering where I've gotten this trait. And I'm wondering if I shared this trait is my birth mother or vice versa. I am hoping Duby was a journalist and am hoping some of those journals survived. The back of my mind, I know this is too much trouble for but just the same I never figured I would ever find one birth-parent let alone both of them.

Carla lives in the community about an hour away from Salt Lake. Traveling is not that easy for her to my brother, I realized that especially now that winter setting in. Even on the best days when it's cold, and even if the streets are clear, it's hard to travel. I would be happy to meet my family even in Utah County where they live. This would involve me getting on the train and riding to Provo and Santaquin then jumping a bus and meeting the family summer for lunch or dinner or whatever. I would not have a problem with this but they may not knowing really, my abilities. So right now, I plan to take the easy route of and text for this information. I would love to read Duby's journals that they exist.

2 comments:

Kelly Bowles said...

IN 1974, in the midst of a difficult time, you suggested that I might keep a journal to help sort things out. I have been a journal keeper ever since and have a pile of journals that I have instructed my boys concerning upon my eventual demise.
I give you the credit for the beginning.
Thanks,
Kell

Meadowlark's Mind said...

My friend, you make me blush and keep me humble… All the best