Saturday, October 13, 2018

Good Bye Irene


Click for "Come on Ileen, not Irene but close enough


I cannot remember when I first time met Irene here at the apartments.I'm sure our meeting was in the washroom/laundromat. Soft-spoken kind of ethereal, dark complected but extremely nice. Irene was Roman Catholic she did not for a religion on you but it certainly showed in her comments and in her lifestyle. I always take one of my hooks with me when I wash to assist in pushing the buttons on the washing machine as well as pulling the closeout of the washing machine and dryer with it.Irene was fascinated with my hooks and after she can have which of course was no problem with me. When she saw my collection of wooden sticks she was immediately drawn to a heavy duty piece of Oak that I had fashioned into a staff couple years earlier. The staff was heavy and I did not use it much less I had to reach something and nothing else was available. Irene thought it was heavy enough to use as an exercise device. I gave it to the woman without thinking twice hope she's been able to use the staff.

I'm now going on my third year at the apartment complex so that means I knew Irene for these two years. At times Irene can be a little challenging. I always enjoyed time with Irene however even in challenging moments. I saw Irene for the last time a couple weeks ago. I did not visit with her,in fact I may have dodged her so that I would not have to spend time communicating. I found out yesterday Irene had passed away last week and that was the first I heard. That was kind of weird.

I can imagine that Irene was a good girl. I'm sure she always want to catechism every Saturday and had all the rites of passage for young Catholic women that she was heir to, active in the Newman club when she went to University/College and then perfect I like. I likewife for a while. In the short visitations we had I felt there was a dark period Irene had pass-through towards the end of her life. She talked about kids I've never seen but I am sure there were. Soft-spoken, kind Irene was liked enough here at the apartment complex but she was not one of the stellar characters roaming the halls here. I'm sure she was never a cheerleader but was active in the pep club. Irene is one who could be counted on. I'm a little embarrassed because one of the first things I thought of when I heard of her passing was that “how can I get my stick back?”. I'm sure the stick is a goner and that's the way that it should be. But it was a nice stick and I would've enjoyed having to stick around to remember Irene

It's kind of weird, I've been at the apartment complex now going on my third year and in that time maybe two people died in the last quarter/summer three or four people died here at the apartment complex. Perhaps that is the reason Irene's passing has been so passé. Interesting however the way they just leave the card in the foyer of the apartment complex for everyone to sign I guess for the family since Irene I doubt is going to read the card.

No comments: