Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Internet: A Failed Promise



I get so frustrated with the Internet and particularly the promise of the Internet. I believe so strongly in this device and always, almost always, come away from any real Internet exercise frustrated and disheartened. I have been considering all week writing a post on social media and other pieces found on the Internet which a total mind and time gobblers. I still may end up writing on that particular area which I'm feeling stronger and stronger about as I seem to lose more and more time to the ITG (Internet Time Gobbler. But I'm afraid I will have to wait today I'm writing about the crushed promise.

As always, I had a few minutes this morning, actually I had all morning and really all day so I jumped on the Internet to start my blog entry for the day – – I always believe I'm going to get this task done early and not have to worry the rest of the day. I don't know how came about but I started thinking about an old best friend David Udy, with whom I went to junior high school. Udy Is a member of my Karass(For more information consult Kurt Vonnegut's Cats Cradle ) That mythical grouping of like psychic people. I don't know how comfortable I feel that off-the-cuff definition but will have to work for now. For one reason or another I always keep coming back to Dave… That is when I can find him.

That's how I start a lost day. In the old days the Internet was pure and actually fairly healthy to be involved with. There were a number of search engines where you can actually put in someone's name and get an address or phone number right off the bat or worst case you go through the Internet phone directory and pull up a number or address that way. But as the Internet grew and more and more things became monetized real assistance from the Internet became a joke. If one had the desire to spend money that perhaps you could find the information needed but unless one committed financially the Internet was just a barrage of information vanishing as one got close to the destination. I always sucker with the hope that today I will get lucky. I jump from one website to another thinking I'll get some form of contact information but am always blocked until I get frustrated to the point that I quit my search. My friend David Udy is an incredible person – – as always been such a developer of souls. I will devote one whole post possibly more to this person someday. David is a schemer, use a PhD psychologist some of the truly believes in the person. I always wish I knew this person better. I knew David for only a short window of time, the three years junior high, of course after my accident I lost contact with that whole crew in many cases decades if not forever. It seems I have to work so hard to maintain these relationships.

I started this project this morning about 9 o'clock and by 12 I realized I was not going to call David today. However, I did find an address, street address! I have stamps, I have paper a the Postcards. All relics of a day gone by in which I still highly believe. I love the written word, I love to write and I have the patience to see if David will respond one way or the other. I don't know why I continue this one-sided venture but something in me, perhaps my Karass compels me to try to keep this relationship verdant and healthy. I am a selfish duck wishing to keep my friends close regardless of the cost.

No comments: