Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Indian Summer



I should be outside doing something. It is officially “Indian Summer”. I've often use the term and I always looked forward to the season of “Indian Summer” but did not realize it was an actual time period. What got me really thinking about it last night, watching the weather. Our weather guy said it was officially Indian summer because we've gone through a freeze. He indicated that Indian summer was that period of time following the first freeze of the season or “the killer freeze”. Today, in a fit of academia are did some research on the Internet and the good old Wikipedia indicated that indeed the time following the first freeze is the Indian summer. Who would've believed?

I believe I stated in an earlier blog how I was getting worried about myself really not doing anything productive. Sitting around my apartment, reading, writing, drawing, and occasionally cleaning and straighten things up. I'm not going to be cliché to the point where I say something weird like “is this all there is.”? But sometimes I begin to feel a little guilty for not doing more with the time that I have. When I get real concerned. I try to remember what it was like when I was married a few years ago living in Murray, Utah on Utahna Street. If I wasn't doing something like working out at the wellness clinic sugarhouse, are going to one of my meetings (which I've continued to do when I am either notified or remember the meetings committee to going to be held). I would just be hanging around the house. If I was lucky to get to my wood shop. I would be making some hooks. Dianne and I would go to doctors appointments, then out to lunch or whatever, but eventually coming back and just hanging out at the house. So kind of really not much different than what's happening now, except what's happening now is that I am alone and perhaps that makes me focus more on the fact that I'm not doing very much.

It's Indian summer and I should be doing more, because the weather is “usable” and I guess I'm feeling guilty for not using the heck out of the atmosphere that is so usable right now before the next step in the weather becomes inclement or cold to the point where I will not want to go out. Yesterday afternoon I went to my bus stop got on the bus and headed south to the regal theater and enjoyed a movie. I must be careful regarding how I spend my resources. Maybe if I had more funds I would do more stuff and go more places – – but that's not true either, because it is truly some great places I can be going, which are for free . I just have to get myself to the event. Perhaps that's where I can make more effort to be doing stuff. This morning I went across the driveway to the senior center. I'm really trying to force myself to use that place every time I get there I just get this side of disgusted. I went to their little shop where they sell donated donated items. I was really looking for some envelopes. I didn't find any envelopes, but I did find some microwavable bowls and I bought them. I now have proof that I went out, socialized, purchased in this part of the community for however long that was. I am enjoying my Indian summer.

No comments: