Thursday, October 25, 2018

Halloween Party!




This week is turning out to be a very busy week. Today is always a busy day, as I see busy days, but when I was at the Independent living center yesterday, Deb let me know that today was the Halloween party.she also on the nullified be able to come. I have not made a Halloween party in so many years. I figured why not. I have the coffee group in the morning, which is done now and I have a break with the number of hours before the 4 o'clock bookclub. I have more than enough time to head back down the Salt Lake to the independent living center and hang out for a little bit.

There are four items that always had to be in the independent living centers, newsletter. I was the editor of the newsletter for years and years when I was at the independent living center. Really the only thing the Wasatch Scope really was the announcer mechanism for upcoming events. The independent living center offers a Christmas party, summer picnic, Halloween party and the summer camp out. It was the hardest thing to try to ride herd on all the different people at the independent living center to get the articles I needed so I can put the paper together and have it proofed and okayed and sent out in time to be an effective document lay people know of the upcoming event. I was putting together the Wasatch , Scope in the old days when the independent living center had quite a small staff five, maybe six people. It was like pulling teeth to get these guys to write articles regarding their programs. I don't know how Kim/Deb publishes the Scope now with a staff of like 20 or 30 people. Publishing the newsletter now would drive me crazy just as well that I'm gone.

Today is one of those calendar events holiday party. In the old days, the party was held at the disabled veteran center and would run from four in the afternoon to about 8 o'clock in the evening. Now, however, the Halloween party like all the other events has miniaturized. Now, which ran from around 11 o'clock to 2 o'clock, they usually offer a small lunch of some kind, today I think it's chili. Deborah encourages participants to dress as their favorite character, but I never do. The closest I ever came was wearing a black turtleneck with a piece of white tape and call myself a priest.

Over the years, some staff has tried to encourage some gameplaying is a way for staff to intermingle with the consumers. I've never really got any traction. The population. The independent living center serves as significantly changed as well. There used to be a lot more folks with physical disabilities and their families. In many cases. There was occasional DD folks who are also part of our service base, but not very many comparatively speaking. There are other programs in the community that better met their needs. The phys/Dizz component is all but disappeared and their service contact is largely developmental disabled populations. That's all good, more or less. Kind of odd, though folks with physical disabilities only are falling through the cracks. Once again. History is doomed to repeat itself.

It should be fun going to the center and just hanging out and doing some visiting …saveand knowing I can leave whenever I want.

No comments: