Monday, October 08, 2018

Stop Me If I Have Said This Before...



One of my major fears is that I will become redundant writing this blog. So, when I have an idea that I feel like documented before one where the other I will spend a few minutes searching the blog looking for references for actual blog entries I may have written before. I so do not want to be one of those old grandpa/fuddy-duddies that does nothing but repeat themselves.  I have just finished doing such a search and I am stricken with mourning the loss of literal years of my posts to my blog. I usually just “slap myself” and tell myself to get on with it but I'm having a problem getting past this acknowledgment today.

I wish I could, with certainty, document when I started this blog. I know it was well before the turn of the century because I was working with the State and I know we're in the old building on 500 E. and 300 S.. The reason I know that I was blogging than because of that's when I learned about blogs and people who were blocking. I started working for the state of Utah when I took over Access Utah Network in August 1998. I never had as much access to the Internet as I did with this position. I had time between phone calls to search the Internet pretty much for anything that I wanted.  

I've always kept a journal or “log” if you will. Sometimes more religiously than others but I've always tried to keep a document of my life. I've lost so many journals over the years. I grieve for all of them as part of my life lost. I really do believe the Mormon saying “by your records you shall be known”. In one of my positions/jobs early on I worked at a Deseret Industries. I worked in a small office the back end of the operation I called in the “batting cage”. Among other things part of my position included assigning trucks to go out and pick things up for the Industries as well as other assignments. Early on the day I had 10 to 15 minutes I had felt and I started using my time to type a log of my work life and daily life. From then on every job I had I would use the first half hour to one hour of the day (much of this time, I saw was lost, when staff would just wander around visit/gossip about what was going on in the office that day or what it happened the night before. Rather than wasting time this way I chose to waste my time keeping a journal. I was so pleased when at the Independent living center I finally have access to a computer that I could keep my log on my system. I do see my problem however is that if you lose your computer and later your Internet presence that you've lost your whole journal. As I said when I went to work with the State I started keeping an online journal, log on more specifically blog. This is when I started my practice of writing at least 500 words a day in an effort to keep my integrity as a “writer”

I'm surprised because a couple of my searches rendered losses of posts I did not realize I had lost. First I was bummed out but the more I considered the fact that a number of my posts have disappeared that I'll be able to write new posts. Now, I only worry that the posts I do write will not be as articulate, endearing are enjoyable as my previous posts which have been lost. I also need to figure way to backup my previous posts before anything else happens i.e. the complete and utter destruction of the Internet.

No comments: