Friday, May 15, 2020

24 Hours


Image may contain: indoor
24 hours ago I was blogging about the service people who just stop by and picked up my power chair and the challenge I had of transferring from that share into my backup chair. The challenge continues of course now I have to reverse the process and I'm just trying to figure out how that process is going to work.

Aside from a few challenging incidents the experience has been a fairly positive event. The challenges started when they came to pick up my chair around 9 PM. Luckily, I was the last pick up on the guys last so time is not a factor. I had moved the backup chair out and had a charged way to go. The only issue was the left arm of the chair latch would not work and it took us quite a bit and a lot of pulling the finally get the arm up so I could transfer. We tried a couple options like the personal left but I decided that was not an option because it would take too much training for the driver to absorb. I finally decided I would just do the old transfer onto the bed routine after he managed to free arm. We are able to make that switch after that. With a minimal amount of bodily intervention. He is wearing a mask but no gloves that he didn't think he was going to have to do anything physical. He was under the impression I was living in the assisted care/long-term care facility and there would be muscular young individuals to lift me around well that's a no go not here anyway which is okay by me.

The next challenge came at 11 or so p.m. As I was getting ready for bed in the back of chair I realized I could not free the left side of my chair arm which is mandatory if I'm going to transfer onto the bed and sleep. Actually it was not that important the next morning because I could stay in bed until Annette arrives for my morning care. It took a while and a lot of thinking. I can call my brother Carl but that our I would not do that to them anymore which means that I might consider calling 911 and getting the fire boys over. I really didn't want that either (I labor under the suspicion that they are keeping track of how many times you call the fire department and at some point that number tips the system into play to 72 long-term care). On the back of my chair where the arm attaches to the chair there is a quick release button which releases the arm completely away from the chair. I hated this at first but have grown to really love the option. Long story short, 45 minutes short, I figured out a way to reach around push the quick release pin and disengage the arm. The post that would not allow the arm to swing free or lift up is still attached but acts as a swivel and the whole piece kind of falls out of the way I can get around and most important just roll under the bed as I usually did. I could sleep!

The days that okay, actually. I made the transfer from bed to chair without issue this morning before the attendant care person arrived. Since have nowhere to go I didn't worry about rolling into traffic, rolling off the mini-high block are in front of a train. I was on home social distancing. That brings me to tonight. I cannot get the arm off the side of my chair so I'm going to just undo the arm again transfer out of the bed sleep, then use the chair until my cleaning person gets here which should be around 8:30 AM and then we can make the switcheroo with the left and then life will be back in sync.

Indeed my controller was shot, this does cause me to scratch my head a bit since theoretically put on a new controller almost exactly one year ago, they put a loner on and well have a new controller shipped in as well as order a number of items I will need to make my chair functional. I have to wait six months to 11 months now before I can even consider ordering the new chair since of insurance issue. That's okay with the new controller and upgrades I should be all right. All's well that ends well…

No comments: