Friday, May 01, 2020

Volleyball Friday

Volleyball Mark serving


I've babbled before about how much I miss work and probably more importantly the routine from work. I think the American system teaches are used to teach its kids about the five-day work week and the sanctity of the weekend. I'm afraid however that is a thing of the past. Life after the Corona's virus is going to be a completely different timeframe I think the five-day work week will become a thing of the past as well be the eight hour work day. And probably that's okay.

When I was working I tended to plan my work week around the last two days of the week. If I had presentations or functions out of the office alike to have been done by Thursday night so I can recoup on Friday but that's what it took. In that same vein if I had an event like a information fair or lecture or something if I could planet for Friday afternoon that was good too because I could make sure that event or meeting ended slightly before 5 PM on Friday afternoon meaning I might be able to get home just a little bit early to start my weekend that was great. Nothing slightly different in the private sector but why spend so much of my career in the private nonprofit/state government work areas we tend to slacked a little bit more than private sector employment.

Independent living center where I worked did not have a gymnasium or event room with a high enough ceiling that basketball are volleyball could be played. So, with the help of our recreation executive or wreck exec, Alan K. We usually got the gymnasium at a school for kids with disabilities. This seemed forever Al ran an afternoon volleyball “class”. I guess at one time Al taught the basics of volleyball, wheelchair volleyball, which is the same as regular volleyball except played from a wheelchair. We actually incorporated able-bodied folks on staff, who wanted to come along which were used as “runners” those folks who conveniently fetch the errant balls that left the court. We played games up until 5 PM when it was time to close down for the week. Not only did staff show up and participate in these games that we have at least one Van that carried consumers to the gymnasium from their homes and back again. Sometimes, there are enough richer folks that it took Ruth, our driver, two trips to get everyone and a member of staff stood by until everyone was delivered. The sometimes went longer into the evening that we wanted but if it was after 5 PM we claim to comp time again win-win.

I still love Friday afternoons especially when I don't have anything going on except listing to NPR, figure out something fun to prepare for dinner and something to binge on Netflix.

No comments: