Friday, May 08, 2020

Typhoid Mary, Who Me?



I'm really trying to be a nice guy. Make it sound like it's a real challenge for me and maybe it is but I figure I need to stowaways many blessings as I can for another great day of reckoning coming at some point down the line. I've not had a haircut for I'll bet you six weeks , since before the virus took hold here in Utah. I think I've written about my barber before, little older lady who shop is right across the street from where I live. She speaks little English and my Spanish is limited but we communicate well enough.

This afternoon I was sitting out in the sun reading when my next-door neighbor, Carol emerged looking all dressed up. I was impressed and of course asked her where she was going. She informed me she was going to the hairdresser, it's a new person not far from our apartment complex. My neighbor had a stroke one time and has a very significant walking impairment. She can walk but is challenging with a lot of foot dragging. She indicated that the hair place is not far. I was a little concerned for her crossing a fairly busy street to get to the salon. So I figured why not be a nice guy and offered a at least roll with her across the intersection knowing that as slow as her gait was it might be helpful to have two people crossing together so that people in their autos would not get too impatient. I was usually quite a bit ahead of her and the only time I was close was at the light when we waited for the signal to change. Again I didn't think about it that she had gotten one of the people in the apartment complex with the car to give her a lift. She voluntarily informed me then that her son had been tested positive for the Covid virus and seems to gotten a very light case, he and his wife. And Carol told me then that the one person who usually gave her a ride now suddenly started avoiding her. Initially I didn't think too much of the revelation. I got Carol to the other side of the street and went my way and noticed that my barber who has been closed was open. It was about then I realized I did not have my mask on and that I MAY HAVE BEEN EXPOSED! Well, the revelation didn't come like lightning just came in little niggles and noogles as I pondered what a person responsibility should be on something like this. The lady went on to inform me that her son had been tested again a day or so later than tested negative. So everything was all right. I think I'm okay… I think but now what do I do? Do I self isolate, more than I already am, for 14 days? Do I need to take an examination of some sort where they stick the cotton swab to my brain tips? Do I tell people not to visit me and tell I know that I'm negative? What do I do? I really think I'm okay but still in the back of my mind I feel like I'm a typhoid Mary


No comments: