Thursday, May 14, 2020

Guilty Pleasure



I took a guilty pleasure today. I built a scenario in my mind, something I could tell others in case I get grilled on why I was out, in the public, doing stuff during the Covid lockdown. It was one of those days where I was a bit concerned actually worried is more the term. My power chair continues to have problems.. Up until this week I've usually been able to look past the issues I'm just getting more and more concerned about being stranded if not being harmed by its lack of response. More and more messages flash on my controller telling me of things going wrong with the chair. The chair actually now becomes inoperable for 10 to 15 minutes of the shot. Luckily none of those times have been when it had to be in a hurry. I have to admit I was a little concerned yesterday when I was on the bus heading to my podiatrist appointment. I was afraid that the chair would not engage when it was time to get off. Luckily, I persuaded the beast and was able to get through the day. Today however, I was committed to trying to get at least an appointment set up for the repair.

After I got through my morning routine I called the folks at IHC wheelchair shop. Sure enough my physician had yet to send over the prescription for repairs I guess my insurance mandates before the local wheelchair shop to pick up a wrench. Rather than print the poor reader, you, through the trauma I'll just say and of having to make at least four calls to my physician and IHC wheelchair shop but finally my doc faxed over the prescription I needed, worded in the way that I needed. A few minutes later I got a call from the wheelchair shop letting me know that got the documentation they needed and that we could set up an appointment. I was delighted when Cameron, the wheelchair shop operator, advised me that if I'd wanted there is a time tomorrow they could work on my chair. This means that they'll have to pick my chair up tonight and keep the chair overnight. When I expressed dread that if I had a Friday appointment I would not have my chair with a weekend but Cameron insisted that I would get my chair back sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening.I was a little worried about having to spend time in my backup chair that better now than some time and I had things to do outside of the apartment complex if the lockdown was ever lifted.

So, I feel justified in scooting across the street to the market to pick us of things I've been fretting about for some time. Bottles of juice, grapes, and a few other things to get me by the temperature gets back… Hopefully tomorrow evening. I don't know if it's the concept of going out when I shouldn't be out in public because of the virus or just being out among other people either way I told enjoy going over to the market which really cares my cabin fever and my need to spend money… Justifiably.

I just finished printing a document of things I needed done to my power chair when I heard the knock on the door and it was Bob the wheelchair guy. The guy picks up the chair. He of course does not know me I don't know him and I'm just worried about how I'm going to get from my regular chair into my backup chair. I spent time and had the thing powered up charged up and ready to go. We couldn't figure an easy way to do this there is no easy way to do this. I finally decided on the hardest way which would be transferring on the bed and then into the chair. This is very difficult for me to do late in the day and I'm tired. This chair, the backup chair, is really difficult and scares me quite frankly. Luckily tomorrow is a day when I'll have support so even if I somehow can't make the transfer I won't have to lay around too long before Annette shows up for my shower and poop. In fact I had a bit of a struggle transferring on the bed even. Hopefully, tonight when I'm naked the transfer go much smoother if not I can always call the fire departmen :-)

No comments: