Sunday, May 24, 2020

Privacy… I Don't Need Stinking Privacy!



I know I'm going to run this topic into the ground and is always no one is putting a gun to your head to read this stuff but this particular topic is freaking me out right now and has nothing to do with Covid 19, social distancing or lockdown.

You remember you yesterday's posting about side of my arm falling from my chair and then me being immobile and no way to contact anyone for the next hour and a half. Until Steve my upstairs neighbor heard me calling frantically. So, I'm resolved to carry some form of emergency responder device in case that happens again. This so hard to watch your back all the time. In fact it can it wears you out. Yesterday actually drive my cell phone around with me every minute. I'm getting used to keeping the cell phone tucked in my belt on my power chair at all times. Well sort of. Last night, as I was laid back watching weekend about 5 o'clock all the sudden message flashes on my controller window saying something about #2. I later looked up which means it's something to do with overcharging. However, while that sign was flashed on my controller my chair was immovable nothing worked I try to turn it off and nothing happened, I tried to use the mechanism to Laura and raise the back foot rests nothing happened I tried to put the chairing gear go forward or backwards again nothing. There was like the controller was dead yet there was a sign that said check #2. Needless to say I started screaming. I've learned that I need to yell loud and hard to have someone here me. This time I feel just a little self-conscious knowing that if I'm going to have any kind of resolution I've got to be heard. Actually, about five minutes later I heard seven shy knocking on my door and at the same time the check number two sign disappears and replaced by my normal driving image. The door knockers are this kindly Hispanic couple who speak no English heard by cries and respond to help luckily I assured them that I was okay. Now I'm getting a feeling of the little boy who cried Wolf. So I was gun shy now. Controller seem to be operating like a champ but I didn't dare feel like I should push the issue at all. This is when I decided that I would start carrying so sorry notification device in case something happens.

Check #2” is now haunting me. Whatever fired off this morning is still nestled deep inside this controller. I assume it is the controller when I think about it, I don't know. It's a holiday weekend of course and nobody I can call is aroundif this happens again except neighbors within hearing distance and possibly the fire department are an older brother, or my ex, DD volley who always saves my bacon.Actually, when I list my options I feel pretty well covered. I still fairly paranoid as I sat watching Netflix the rest of the evening inadvertently looking at my controller gauge, making sure when I went to get ready for bed that I had my cell phone with me. I'm even thinking about checking out the various personal assistance out there with Amazon or Google. I hate to go that route but maybe I have to realize this is where I met anymore and if I'm going to be living independently I have got to be able to reach out immediately to my supports. Remember in yesterday's post? My upstairs neighbor almost unloaded on my housekeeper because she was late and I needed her. I got to thinking was he basically saying “don't bother me” by my yelling at odd hours the night or day for that fact. The trade-off I know personal assistant thing is that you're actually inviting your technology to listen to you all the time. Many think this is an infringement of personal privacy but again it's a trade-off for me and who the hell knows ? Those guys are listening to you all the time anyway and tracking the hell out of you this way just having a cigarette with them at the end of the exercise…

No comments: