Monday, August 17, 2020

Fix My Chair Please

 


I really don't want to totally bore you (my beloved reader) out but a blog is something written about what's important to the writer is that correct? Well keeping this chair is one of the most important things on my agenda these days. I don't have effective chair that's reliable so I've got to keep this chair functional. The fix my brother performed on the chair last week is still holding in doing so very well but I can see as well the wire is getting loose. I am praying and hoping the wire which is fixing the controller onto the pedestal of the chair will continue at least until tomorrow when I'm supposed to meet with the interim director for UATP– Salt Lake, the focal point for Utah's reutilization equipment program. You'll recall that I spoke with him last week and he informed me that they are actually trying to downsize a lot of the equipment they have on hand and should I come down I could possibly not only get a power chair with working batteries but I'm going to try to finagle a controller that will fit this chair. I think I had about five calls out for folks might be able to give me information regarding finding a controller and only one responded (that I'm aware of). This guy's a good guy who actually remembers my chair. I did not go through him to purchase the chair and as I explained to him my needs he of course gave his best shot at dropping my involvement with IHC wheelchair shop And going through him to not only fix my chair but possibly order the new power chair I am anticipating. I certainly don't want to burn any bridges with this guy are with my wheelchair shop and he was pretty cool with that but certainly left the door way open that should I need a new salesperson he is certainly be willing and happy to take me on.


Sadly, my buddy Kim from the independent living Center, where I used to work, never got back to me. I understood last week when I started the search because it was the annual office UILC campout. And I realize coming back to the office after a day out can be somewhat overwhelming especially when you're the associate director for the organization. But I gave a brief rundown of what I needed information wise (you may remember that the independent living Center also has a pretty significant reutilization program for equipment for people with disabilities). Kim didn't call back what you said, saddens me. I was hoping Kamron, from the IHC wheelchair shop would get back with me so I would have the information I needed to ask the questions I needed at the reutilization program. I just want to make sure that if I do get a controller or there's one available I get the right one. The same goes for the same question to make sure that if I go to the Internet like eBay and put down 100 bucks for controller will it be a piece of equipment that I can use? In other people are busy but they can get back with me. I found this guy on YouTube he runs theVlog called Totally Normal. He has some kind of disability which comes and goes but is highly skilled at tool manipulation and works on a lot of his own power chairs is really interesting but he really knows what he's doing. Even if I knew what I was doing like he does I would not have the skill set to break down these machines than build them back up so they would work. I've got friends of can do this, my brother and dad could of done this. I would not be able to do it even if I was able-bodied. I'll try to put a link on this page, Totally Normal. Now go to finish watching the film from Netflix trying to move as little as possible to keep my chair as functional as possible so I can make the trip over to UATP tomorrow morning…

No comments: