Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Half Full or Half Empty?


Sometimes I really get frustrated with this chair. I'm really trying to do good by it, treat the chair with kid gloves to do anything I can to extend its life and ability to serve me. When I called yesterday to try to figure out what we could do to bring about a fix to the problem of my broken chair controller and the nonchalance of the “gatekeeper aka. Cameron” who won't let me talk to the wheelchair mechanic. He since he told they were living going to look at the image had sent in for two or three days because they were so blacklogged. In the course of that call Cameron suggested that I should be careful on what I request because my insurance does not want to pay for anymore repair Because it will be purchasing a new chair relatively soon. Cameron is concerned that anymore repairs to the chair will push back the order date at least another six months. I can appreciate that and I am so glad my big brother was able to effect a solution.


Today was okay day all things being equal. I woke up a little concerned because I didn't plug my chair and last night and I guess I should have. However with the lack of travel I've done in the last couple of days of overused about 6 miles of power. I used to think that was a lot or long-distance to go on one charge but listening and talking to other people who go way farther than that I think I've let my guard down a little. So it's been two days since I last charged and I do usually charge nightly but I'm trying to train the batteries to extend themselves – – I don't know if that's a power chair users mythology but it kind of makes sense. Anyway the past three days ago they gone back and forth in front of the building them back a couple trips over to the market. My odometer indicates 6 miles in my icon are animation looks about half-full or half-empty I truly thought I had more than enough power to get some shopping done and get back and lay low for the rest of the day.


I was so confident when I headed out this morning for the market that I didn't even take my cell phone thinking for sure I would be there and back Again in a flash. In fact I was actually going to stop at Gray Whale and check out some Guardians of the Galaxy DVDs and then even stop at the small Chinese restaurant grab some lunch. At one point I have to admit I was feeling a little Ecstatic zooming around the market. It was when I went to the checkout but I glanced down at my controller and saw all that was remaining on my power strip was a very very thin red line meaning I was nearly out of power. I was curious cause my speed had not limit itself as it usually does when you get low on power. I immediately cut out the trip to Gray Whale and the Chinese food counter. What was I going to do? The temperatures were in the 90s (and I'm wondering if that may have had something to do with how quickly the batteries let go other power) and what would happen if I stop on the way home? Then to double the problem I realize I don't have my cell phone! When I left the building The maintenance guy, Ted was still talking with the manager. I was hoping praying Ted was still there. Worst-case scenario a total shutdown we could disengage the motors and Ted could push me home. But, I'm totally dependent on my cell phone, I don't even know our buildings phone number. I thought sure the chair would shut off any second but I rolled over to the service desk and begged for the use of a phone. I had to use one of the other checkers phone to find the number of my apartment complex and eventually got through the manager but Ted was already gone. I told her what the problem was and that I'd didn't think is revealed to make it back and that if I didn't show up after an hour or so which you come out look and see if I was stranded along the way somewhere. I even thought about calling the fire department to see if one of those guys would walk with me back to the apartments. Then I realized I'm on my own, more or less, I'm sure I could have begged somebody at the store and they would've done that. But I decided I would go for it if I stopped along the way shout out till somebody stopped to help me. I left I went super slow thinking that the slower that I went the slower abuse of power. I don't know it just felt right and soon I made it from the market to the sidewalk and the sidewalk to the Arctic Circle which is about halfway to the intersection and then I made it to the intersection and just prayed that my chair.strand me in the middle of traffic when the light turned. I made across the intersection aand here I knew I was home free but still had a ways to go. I made it to the gate to the back parking lot onto the sidewalk around the end of the building and into my apartment I made it! The power animation showing the bizarre red square with the red X crossed in the middle. I grabbed my cell phone off the table and went to the bedroom where I had my charger. I plugged in leaned back and listened to my favorite radio show but that didn't want for our and a half. I had made. I called Jennifer to let her know I've made it home and then watched YouTube films until my radio show.


I don't know if it's the excessive heat because my batteries to discharge as quickly as they seem to have done. The batteries are basically new so it cannot be them but Deep charge and hope for the best. Trouble is now his chair nearly let me down to my hard to build the trust I need to feel comfortable out there on the tarmac…


No comments: