Thursday, August 06, 2020

Pocket Full Of Miracles


It seems I write a lot about miracles. I believe in miracles that unexplained phenomenon which happens usually for the benefit of the individual. Most often than not miracles link to some sort of higher power intervention. I guess, it's easy for me to believe in miracles because that's the way I was raised early on miracles were just a part of my life. I haven't done the research on this blog so I don't remember if I've spoken about my parents/mom devotion to the LDS church and with that a branch that is somewhat mystical. Those are all topics for other blogs which hopefully at some point I'll get around to writing. Today however to explain the image at the top of the screen.


I'm sure I have explained this earlier at some point in this blog but I'm the adopted child. Only recently have I found my biological roots which to some degree bear out my mothers insistence that I was some form of Native American or some sort of minority. However, it seems that when I was on my complexion was quite dark very Indian/Mexican/Spaniard. I was never made to feel different or less than one of the children of the family because of this phenomenon. In fact I really don't know how much the rest of the family even registered. But I was a bit of a darkygrowing up. There is a tale of our family about how I went from being dark skinned light-skinned or should I say lighter than I was. Of course this has to have some sort of religious overbearing and it seems to me it was around the time of my baptism. The roots of this myth may have been even somewhat earlier when I was formally adopted in the family and given a name and a blessing by my father. This is when perhaps the skin lightening started. Not as impressive as Michael Jackson's but impressive just the same. But near as I can tell the big skin lightening took place on or around my baptism. Things like this don't happen overnight, or they may but it didn't happen to me that way. I just became more and more light-skinned. There seems to be a part in the book of Mormon where some of the darker skin Lamanites became more fair delight some skin colored. Now this is kind of bunk to me but then it just made sense particularly as I saw myself. Over the years as I became an adult and only paid partial attention to the historical record as documented by photographs I forgot this miracle of the whiten skin.


Interestingly when I became aware of my biological family this last two or three years I see that our brothers and sisters in many cases are still quite dark And carry strongNative American Phenol- typical characteristics. Totally interesting. Nowadays, the only reference now to my darker days is the first exposure to the sun after the equinox. I darken quickly than stay dark over the summer but I tend the to lose that tank quickly as we go into the dark months of winter. I don't know if this is any more than a good tale which is certainly part of my mythology that I still hold onto and it's easy for me to believe…


No comments: