Friday, June 02, 2017

Looking for Bridges too Cross


Lori Brock who I written about a lot recently has encouraged me to write a lot over the years which I really have appreciated. At her recent urging are produced about 4000 words for a short story which is actually fairly accurate description of the day leading up to my accident 50 years ago. This posting is really not about Lori except that she is the one who encouraged me to write. This posting is about the 4000 words but I did write.

It's not a great piece in fact I don't think it's the best piece I have ever written what is great about this piece is that it was written and it was written by me. We recently had a “a writer's lunch” and Lori challenged everyone to bring a piece they had written to the lunch. I took this challenge seriously, because I wanted to let because I needed to. I want to be a writer! So I spent a good part of last week writing this piece. We ended up having the lunch a couple days early which caught me way surprise. So I was hustling last couple days trying to get this thing written and in some sort of presentable fashion. It was interesting because I was instantly thrown back into that attention of being in school and having to finish a paper are likely project before deadline. Everything felt like school even in the last day when is trying to get the document in some form of presentable fashion and everything seemed to be going against me. Seriously, the computer ate my piece, just like a fourth-grade excuse. Seriously I went to save my document and the document disappeared off the screen and I really cannot find it anywhere. Luckily I did have two or three copies of a very similar document spread out through my computer but to try to resurrect one of these documents and then try to make the changes I wanted to was driving me crazy.


The document had lost I had taken my initial project, and went through and actually changed the tenses. I do not edit well in fact if I had lots of money I would pay somebody to edit for me even just the basic and allowed be willing to finish but I just struggle with the editing process. I change the tenses, which means I had to change a lot of the words, some places at a few words in some places take a few words away but neither case I hovered around the 4000 word mark. I change the font to 14 which made the whole document I think a lot more readable. Then I doublespaced the project which made the document jump from seven pages to 14 a little less if I went to 1.5 versus two in the formatting of lines. Gosh then I struggled for an inordinate amount of time trying to insert page numbers! Why was this such an ordeal? May I been putting page numbers on documents for 30 or 40 years as long as I been using wordprocessors. I can't believe I couldn't do this and now I'm going to go back now that I have the time and figure it out one more time and redo the writing and then email it out to the crew. What sort of shocks me is that I'm excited about writing the next story/chapter. I don't know if I'm going to try to resurrect First Story in a Second Story World. I'm not sure if I can do it – – try to write the story again. I think the best I might be able to do is write a series of stories from that period. The document I produce sure will not be professional I'm glad try to write it. I think I can do it now as I really begin to use Dragon. I still think I'll be hung up on the editing process but that's a bridge  I am willing to cross when I get there.

No comments: