Thursday, June 01, 2017

Reading Group


I had had a long day by the time I finally got to the West Jordan library at about 8000 south and 1800 something West. I was late again for the reading group. I really want to be on time this meeting because I was late last week because I diverted my trip to the post office to pick up some postcards. I really want to be on time to show the leaders of the group that I was a serious member. I don't know why I'm so worried about being late for a volunteer position. The group is doing just fine when I got there another one of the volunteers was leading the group in the second week of Treasure Island. I'm thoroughly enjoying this book and I am thoroughly enjoying being part of this group.

I had a late lunch with the writing group I am part of. I wrote about this group couple weeks ago I think when I was writing about Lori Brock. Anyway, I was contacted that the group and changed the meeting time and day of the lunch we were going to have to discuss our new writing projects. And of course today was a late lunch at 2 o'clock which meant that the latest I could go would be 3:30 PM and really I should've left at 2 o'clock. However, the conversation was so lively and entertaining I stretched it out to 3:30 PM I headed over to State Street to catch 217 southbound. I was about 15 minutes late and I felt bad but the group welcomed me and we read for the next 45 minutes.

The sky had grown more and more overcast as the afternoon went on but I didn't mind there was a warm wind blowing making my time out on the tarmac enjoyable and feeling productive. Finishing the reading group at 5 o'clock I figured I had a little time before I cut the northbound bus home. I explore the library for the first time for about an hour. I was interested in their selection of audible books specifically Stephen King's. I was a little pleased as I exited the library to feel the wind at increased significantly since I entered the clouds and darkened and I could smell moisture in the air – – somewhere it was raining. I felt pretty secure that I'd be able to get home before any significant rain happened.

When I got to the bus stop there to women waiting in the bus shelter. I set off to the side of the shelter the two women and myself ignored each other. We waited and waited and pretty soon we began to get to know each other. We had been waiting for at least a half an hour, two buses should have come and gone and there had not been any. The wind picked up the crowds grew more dark as if deluge was in the offing. Then the buses began to come at least three buses came our way but as the buses closed-end on our stop we saw that “garage” or “out of service” was flashing on their header boards (electronic sign on the front of the bus which shows the bus route that particular vehicle is dedicated. I had been waiting about 45 minutes in the made numerous calls the transit authority to see what was the problem. This seems to been a number of significant accidents on the route which I guess was the reason for the late buses – – which really doesn't say anything about why we were passed by three buses – –. We were now at least out of the elements and heading north. We figured we were going to be sharing the bus a lot of folks sense they were downstream and had been waiting for the bus just as long as we had. We got about three stops before a woman in a service workers uniform of a major fast food chain got on the bus with her cell phone pressed against her ear and she was angry. I don't blame her for being angry, the three of us who got on together could have been angry but we knew and didn't do any good we're just glad to ride. But this customer with the cell phone on earlier was screaming and yelling at customer support and was also making disparaging remarks towards the bus driver as Ms. Fast food got on. The driver made some innocuous remarks which the lady on the cell phone took as direct threats and they were not. The driver tried to close the argument and get on driving but the cell phone lady was yelling at her so significantly I began to get a little edgy action. Finally the driver throughout the bus or tried to. We'd gotten a couple blocks when the driver decided to have the unruly customer removed from the bus which meant the driver would have to park the bus until UTA cops arrived to remove the customer. We were close enough I could actually roll to the apartments from there. I asked to be downloaded breaking in between the verbal battle between the driver and the customer. The customer finally got upset to the point she got the bus and started walking. One of my fellow passengers took off the tiedowns but by then with the lady gone I decided to stay on board.

I finally got home, the rain never really started, and I finished my workout regimen but I missed my radio shows. It's been a long day. I really wished I had had the presence of mind to have recorded the incident between the driver and passenger on my cell phone I did not but that would've been great footage – – maybe next time.


No comments: