Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Surprises

My friend Dave the leader of  our Tuesday morning board group signaling the meeting is over.

I was really planning on staying home today, maybe running over to the market but since I went last night there really is no need, except recreationally and that's pretty pathetic. Typically Tuesday is the day that I go into Salt Lake to attend my Assist, Inc. meeting. However, the last two or three weeks we've not been meeting. It's the end of the grant year and most of the counties that use our service has spent out there budgets so we have not been meeting. My routine is I get up and get dressed as if I'm going into the meeting then after 8 o'clock I call. As I've said the last couple weeks when I have called, the meetings been canceled so imagine my surprise this day to be told that in fact we are having a meeting. Okay great. In fact I was probably going to travel into the city anyway to go to the library to return the book I got last week 

I'm kind of surprised that we had a meeting because Salt Lake is under a excessive heat warning. Seniors, people with disabilities and those with respiratory ailments are supposed to stay in. It would take more than 90° weather to keep me in but I was concerned about some of the  ladies on our board. One drags around an oxygen tank, one has an incredible smokers hack and the others just plain old – – you notice how I did not include me in to the group. But we had our meeting. I went in early as I always do and go by the library dropped off my book and looked at some of the titles of books been sold to raise money for the library by the library volunteers. I am really getting into audiobooks and sure enough there was one there I wanted. But I didn't have enough cash and I really didn't want to run it through on my credit card. But I made a mental note to myself to get some change and come back and if it is meant to be, the volume would still be there. This is one of the hardest lessons I've had to learn I'm still learning. Usually when I go back the item is gone.

As I said everybody made it to the meeting. It was good to see everyone it's been a while since we all got together. I was pleasantly surprised when David opened up a folder towards the latter part of the meeting and pulled out a number of checks. We actually get a few dollars for every meeting we attend. It's not a salary as much as an honorarium. I was blown away when I opened up my check and it was for 120 bucks! I could not believe it 120 bucks. I found the branch of my bank which is downtown  and just a couple blocks from the library. As soon as we were finished and zipped over cashed my check and returned to the library and sure enough the audiobook was still there. I was so excited I couldn't believe it. I got the book came on home.


I really enjoyed my day out I found it most productive and I got a new audiobook.For a day that started with nothing on my agenda I felt like I had a full dance card at the end.

No comments: