Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Medical Monday


This last Monday was medical Monday.. I had two physician appointments over at the death Star or IHC medical Center. I did not have to worry too much about the apartment since they were basically follow-up appointments one with my primary caregiver and then the other with my physiatrist. I like both of my docs. Actually, my first appointment with my primary care physician was actually with his resident which is cool. He was a nice kid and pretty much let me take the lead. Sense I informed him that I had an appointment with the physiatrist later on that day and then an appointment with wound care specialties later on the week he seemed most impressed and just basically smiled at me and let me go. That's cool I figured as much. However I was going to the motions and I knew that. I had gone a year without seeing this office and I'm just trying the more proactive this next year.

I had about two and half hours to kill before my next appointment with the physiatrist. I got half a sandwich from the cafeteria than one up to the 12th floor were spent so much time a couple years ago when I had my surgery. The got this great deal upstairs on that floor where they keep tons of soft drinks, chocolate milk and regular milk. Sometimes just for the fun of it I go to the 12th floor like I own the place will straight back to dining area and grab myself the chocolate milk or two sometimes even some of the other treats in the fridge that are therefore patients and their families. I figure since I had my neck surgery there and I'm coming in there for follow-up downstairs that I'm entitled to chocolate melts forever. So far it's worked pretty good not only for chocolate milk but for coffee. I ate my lunch visiting with some guy that had been there for almost 3 months I couldn't believe that. I don't been there a couple weeks which I think was too much in many respects.

I wandered back down to my docs building cruised up to the eighth floor and checked in. I had most of my documentation which I needed and talked my way through the rest of the intake interview. I really think I have a pretty good relationship with my dark. It's strange having a doctor's almost exactly the same age as you I think I'm a couple months older than he is. He's on his way out he is partially retired practicing only one day a week at the clinic. I think I fascinate him. I think when I was in the hospital he had about written me off. I think he felt sure that I was headed to long-term care. But I worked and I worked and convinced him I could make it a home. I think he for sure thought I was headed for long-term care when I divorced. He was shocked but pleased when he found out I was living on my own with home health care. The guide truly worries about me I can tell. He was aghast at the condition of my power chair and particularly the foot pedals or the foot box as the device is called. The chair is falling apart he didn't like the way my legs are being pushed against the foot rests. He actually left the exam room got a couple of chucks came back and proceeded to take them to my foot rests to give something soft for my legs to push against. He also gave me a prescription for a chair evaluation. I don't know if it'll do any good but I'm hoping so. Today I met with my durable medical mechanic from the place that I purchased my chair and he didn't do much he did tighten one of the foot pedals so at least it wasn't totally falling down in giving my foot some support. He basically finally gave up and said “talk to your physical therapist”. At least he did not charge me the $128 per hour fee.


I'm kind of disheartened because I know trying to get this chair and any kind of shape is going to be a battle. I hope I have the stamina to pull off.

No comments: