Friday, June 30, 2017

Indoor Picnic

Blog 063017 – – Friday

Today was the apartment wide “picnic”. It was termed blank, everyone was encouraged to bring something. The agency, the company that owns the property we all live in, Utah Non-profit Housing Corporation, supplied the meat i.e. hot dogs, hamburgers and pulled pork sandwiches really not a bad layout. People brought potato salad course, baked beans, from frog eyed salad, a bag of Doritos and drinks in the form canned pop.and are bottled water. The event is held indoors which is really too bad because we have a really nice patio. Jimmy, one of the resident advisors, had the an enviable job of Cook at the gas grill outside, again making much more sense that we would have the event outside that in. Poor old Jimmy running back and forth with plates of hamburger patties and hot dogs.

Slightly impressive was the fact that tables were covered with clothes. I don't ever remember tablecloth for an event in the Great room. The food was all laid out on serving tables. Places are staked out like claims on these tables and some even held hands over chairs, just like in grade school and you say the place for your best friend to sit next to you at the lunchroom table, fortunately I did not have to move when I sat at a table where one of the places was being saved. This seems to be fairly common. The apartments resulting in significant hurt feelings. Two of the tenants refuse to go because it wasn't worth the trauma of being shunned from the table because all the spaces were taken up her being saved.

Myself and Pat (Pat is another person at these apartments reuses a powered device to get back and forth, but also serves on the Board of Directors of this facility along with myself we often hang together, but I think she's got a goofy as I'm sure she does me). In these kind of settings I usually wait until the bulk of the group is gone through the will serving line. Pat and I both agreed this was the best thing to do. I was kind of surprised that someone just didn't pick up a paper plate and go through the line for us in fact I was halfway through and someone did that for me which I appreciated – – she even decorated my hamburger. I'm sure I ate way too many calories and I rarely drink soda but I did today Orange drink the drink tasted heavenly. I thought to myself this may be the closest thing I get to a cookout this summer.


I was positively surprised at how well I communicated with other folks at the table. One of the ladies was going to Wendover – – a local gambling place two hours from here – – what are the others talked about her grandchildren and I brought up the fact that youth at the skateboard park directly across from my patio skated all night long. The park closes at 10 theoretically could I suggested that I program the local police department's phone number into my cell phone so that I had the number when I needed to call when kids were in the park after hours. Also the eye was the toast of the table everybody else seem to have issues as well who slept on the same side of the building as I.. Towards the end of the hour Larry the Crooner burst through the door dragging the sound system with him. This is a older Mel Torme clone who sings to the ladies every chance he gets. He has a deep voice, dresses in a tux and croons the hour away. I sure hope we don't pay them but we probably do. I chose that is my single/chance to leave. I excused myself from the table. I used the excuse of updating my journal which I'm doing. I couldn't stand it anymore at the indoor picnic.

No comments: