Monday, June 12, 2017

Memory Sift


I'm fretting about my garden. My garden the one I planted with the help one of my fellow residents here at the apartments last week. Actually, my garden looks beautiful Ms. Not a whole heck of a lot to do except watch the plants grow. The boxes that we have for garden space actually has sprinkling system built into the box. That's what I've been doing this morning actually waiting for the sprinklers to turn off so I can go out and plant some green onions. I made ham fried rice yesterday I had some green onions that really needed to be used so I cut them off about 1 inch above the bottom but still left me some good green onion to fry in my rice and the scraggly tops I tossed. This morning I took the four or five bottoms out to my garden space to plant space but the sprinklers were on. I guess I could've been tough and bore the whole underground and drop the onion's bottoms in black figure to be just as easy to wait for the sprinklers to be off.

There must be a cold front moving in. We've had a great deal wind over the past couple days, wind warnings every day. The front is due today the high temperature this morning was 72 with 62 to be a high the rest of the day. I waited and waited for the Sprinks space to shut themselves off. The sun had risen and raised over the top of the brick wall that surrounds our complex. Some feel good when the rays were able to push themselves around the clouds that seem to be moving in with the wind. Surprisingly the wind felt good – – surprisingly because once the summer heat has started to hate to see cooler weather move-in. But as I waited for the sprinklers to cease I told the back of my chair and let the cool wind rush over me. I tilted my chair back and enjoyed the moment. As I did so eyes closed, hearing the wind pushed the trees around like fraternity bullies I was taken back to great wind blows on my farm in Boise 60 years ago. In a moment I could smell the alfalfa mixed with spearmint waft over me. The wind blew hot drying wash strung out on the line in 15 minutes. The yearling calves and even their mothers ran wildly in the pasture their tails up enjoying whatever the wind was blowing their way. High in the sky above the clouds Jets left white contrails crisscrossing the blue background visible in breaks among the clouds.


I am memory sifting, that is what I call the process of letting go and allowing exterior elements retrieve memories from deep inside my mind. Sometimes an older, a piece of music, the situation can trigger a moment or reverie of memory sifting. Sometimes I have to tease the memory out other times the memories tumble from my mind like children listing at the door which suddenly opens. Regardless for a moment I am translated back to a moment long ago..

No comments: