Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Epic!



It was cold last night, in the bedroom, before I went to bed I even threw one of my favorite comforters on the bed. It's a small comforter blue but very warm and very light weight which I'd really appreciate. I really didn't sleep well partially because the temperature but I think I was putting too much weight on that particular issue. I felt like I was sleeping weird in the bed which happened sometimes. Like I might be too close to the edge that I start worrying about them I going to spasm myself off the bed is that going to be another evening waiting for the firemen to come to pick me up off the floor? But eventually I did get to sleep and go for a while I've slept fitfully my toes were exposed to the cold air but really that wasn't an issue, anyway I woke up at 4:15 AM to to drain and actually got back to sleep and didn't wake up again until 8 AM-ish that never happens felt pretty good.

I like poetry, I would love to be able to read poetry out loud but I really never mastered that process. I had lunch with Lori the other day and we're talking about poetry and reading and how I wish I could read poetry the way others did. I just cannot get the rhythm down but I love poetry just the same and I shared with Lori that sometime after the 10th grade I actually wrote an epic poem at least the poem was epic for me. I had become enthralled and smitten with the rime of the ancient mariner. This I thought was an epic poem. I memorized pieces of the document but I was in treat with the idea of writing such a piece of poetry that long and rhyming that much. So I got into this thought process this last week when I tripped across day come on for an audiobook program. What made me stop and consider this program was that it focused on common free titles, and you note titles that have been in the public so long there free domain in the case I was looking at was Dante's Inferno. I enjoyed Dante's Inferno but not as much as I enjoyed the rime of the ancient mariner. Either way both pieces of work was impressive to the point that I wanted to write an epic poem and I did which was Don't Ripple The Wine An epic account about an individual's sojourn strapped to a raft on a ocean/sea of wine. I wrote about it seems like 18 pages of poetry with about eight stanzas to a page. Almost hundred and 50 or so stanzas. Then of course somewhere along the way I lost the yellow notepad that I'd worked with that summer. I was quite amazed at how quickly and swiftly the words came tumbling out of my pen. I've never had such inspiration sense. I never did find my lost legal pad and the been somewhat detoured from read writing the epic will see for fear that what I would produce would not be as good as the original.

Lori was quite supportive, of course, Lori was intrigued with the idea and her best suggestion to me was to consider writing the epic again but rather than trying to duplicate what I had written build on my life experience sense that document and see what I can come up with at this point in my life. Great counsel. This morning, lying in bed after a night of thrashing and crashing and sleeping a little bit I kept getting refrains from Rod Stewart's “You Wear  It Well”. In fact I listened to a whole album of Rod Stewart and was Filled with an idea which would be to rewrite the epic D RT W and write the whole thing out of lyrics from the 70s are possibly 60s but basically rock 'n roll pieces of music. Not a bad idea I'm still kicking the concept around inside the old noggin wondering if I had it together enough to even begin such a document. And perhaps more importantly the following through and not have the document lie in the dirt and some box until everything I own is incinerated after that great and dreadful day of my ending on this sojourn. An epic poem might be fun though it well be cool to have an epic poem as was one of the Swan songs of my life. Something to exit stage left all the way to morning- I think it's a great idea… A little old-fashioned but that's all right…

Oh by the way when I got back from my travels today the heat was onAnd that's just all right too…

No comments: