Friday, October 11, 2019

Just Draw She Said


Blog 101119 – – Friday

It's almost 12 o'clock! Years ago, I had a brother-in-law who worked for the state of Idaho Department of employment as a employment type counselor. His name is Jim and Jim was extremely interested in self-defeating behaviors. Jim actually wrote a couple papers on the topic and we talked about the concept a lot. I thought about Jim a lot the last couple years and particularly myself and how I seem to have a host of self-defeating behaviors which keep me from doing things I think I really want to do. I really want to be drawing, more than I am obviously. Sometimes weeks go by without making a mark in a paper that can be called drawing. I fill my day with things I feel need to be done and I wonder if in fact these are self-defeating behaviors as far as drawing goes. I feel, I could drop best in the mornings but I never do. I have coffee to make, morning bowel routine three times a week, making my bed, washing dishes, and this was also the morning that I pumped my arm bike(I've decided to go to working out on my arm bike just three days a week as opposed to six days a week. The other two days, Tuesdays and Thursdays and Saturdays I'm going to push my rickshaw even though it's cold) this morning it was washing clothes and now writing my blog. I also now am having to consider for the close before bedtime because I always throw the clean clothes on the bed forcing me to do something with them in order to access my bed when it's time to crash. Now that I have the new fileI feel compelled to download all my files from the boxes and containers I have scattered around my art tables and bookshelves. These are all items in my mind which need to be done but in fact I think are self-defeating behaviors so I don't have to put a mark on a piece of paper because I fear I will not be happy with what I produce. Again, thinking back in the drawing class what I really like about that project was I was drawing every day I was in class and drawing with people not that that was a big deal but a kind of was having a designated time and space and the task which was the assignment of the day. It's a shame that I feel I have to do that in order to draw—why cannot I do this on my own?

There's really not a hard fast law which says I have to do this all in the morning time but seriously that's when I feel most artistic and creative not only from the dry aspect but also from the writing aspect as well. When I leave my writing to the evening, past my afternoon new show and 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock news and possible offerings from the networks as far as TV goes and are Netflix Inc. if I wait that long to write I get renditions of forced production doesn't sound as good and I don't even try to draw at that point no marks on paper now.

I miss Jim and his astute ideas and comments regarding people's work behaviors. Jim was/is a good guy and was not particularly productive in the area of publishing his thoughts and ideas but he sure had them and I sure enjoyed discussing them with him. However now, I'm going to post this entry for the day is stop using this as my self-defeating behavior And find something to make a mark on a piece of paper today and call it drawing…

No comments: